Best Downrigger and Dipsey Trolling Line

I'm going to reline my trolling reels this spring...what's your advice as to line for Downriggers and for Dipsey Divers.  I've been using 30# Mono for the Riggers and 30# Fireline on the Dipseys but am thinking I may need to update my thinking.  What to you all recommend for both scenarios?  Thanks in advance for any advice for brands and weights!

you can use whatever in the spring but when flea season starts you don't want to use any braid except for backing on coppers and lc. 30 pound wire on the divers and blood run sea flee on your rigger reels is what you want

Edited by shawn393

have had good luck with big game mono on the riggers (generally 30# with appropriate floor leader size based on the time of year.   For dispeys, wire all the way.  I made the change a couple years ago from firemen and never looked back

I’ll second the Blood Run 30# Sea Flee on the riggers and I’ll run like 15-20ft Fluor leaders or such. For dipsys I’m changing my game, I had the mono under the braid, I ran 30#PP the last few years. The PP will be backer and I’m going to run something other than braid, I had enough of release slipping, rippling the release th hell ect. It’s nearly impossible not to have some sort of a failure with braid in use with anything other than running dipsys and flat lining. IMO?? So that’s something to think about also. I might add this is in walleye setups, I rarely fish kings, but all in all a set up is a set up no matter what’s going to bite on the business end.:lol:

• Like 2

I run 30# mono on pretty much everything except my walleye rods and dipsys. Those get braid or wire. I usually run 30# braid to help in the summer with fleas on the walleye rods (smaller diameter collects more fleas) and 2 of my dipsy rods have 50# power pro 4 seasons old and haven't had any fleas. In the last few years I haven't had much of a problem with the braid and fleas. My other 2 dipsy rods are wire and never had fleas.

I fish the North Eastern end of the lake where the temps are a little cooler so I think that helps contribute to the lesser amount of fleas.

11 hours ago, shawn393 said:

you can use whatever in the spring but when flea season starts you don't want to use any braid except for backing on coppers and lc. 30 pound wire on the divers and blood run sea flee on your rigger reels is what you want

X2 for sure.

blood run 7 strand 30lb is my favorite wire for diver rods.  i used to run big game but found it had too much memory from making twists in the line to put in a blacks release. now have switched to ande 25lb premium mono and dont have as much of a problem 

Use 50# copper for your dipsey's. No stretch and lets you trip the dipsey with ease, just keep your thumb on the spool. I would use 30# wire for your riggers. Theres no stretch and very responsive. You can pick up on an issue with the cable if one occurs

Thanks everyone for your thoughts...your answers have led me to ask a few more questions...I hope you have time to respond.

I wondered about the copper...I've never used wire...apparently the 30# Bloodline 7 strand is the preferred wire for dipseys...is that true about the thicker braid being better than a thinner one true re: Fleas?...50# Power Pro?  I recall the last time I was up 30# Fireline was often favored by the Fleas. 

What knot do you use to tie the fluorocarbon to the wire?  I think methods have changed a lot and I like to think I'm never too old to learn a new (to me) trick!

50 # power pro will not be any better as far as collecting fleas. i run the wire right to my diver.i use 30# mason 7 strand wire but whatever 30# wire is fine. as far as rigger reel line the blood run sea flee is a 30# mono line with a slick coating that works great

Two common main options:

Roller tip for the rod. Come in different diameter shaft sizes depending on what rod you have. Can be expensive. High quality ones (usually on custom rods)  can be a couple hundred dollars or much more. Complete rods can have rollers for eyelets as well. Primarily used in salt water

Twilli tip - a spring looking thing that replaces the current tip on most common rod shafts. They have  a few different rod tip adapters that come with them to fit a variety of rods.  Cost 7-10 dollars

Edited by Sk8man

Torpedo 19 strand wire is another option it is more user friendly especially if new to wire you can also use it with your regular rod guides and tip. You can do wire right to the dipsey but if you collapse your poles for storage a 20 foot piece of 50 lb mono at the end of the wire is a good idea. When using wire spool it on under tension and always keep it under tension when setting and retrieving. This is where the mono helps because all of your wire will be on the spool when you break it down. If you go with a 7 strand and a twilli tip I like to put a large bead on above the swivel this way I can reel the line all the way tight for storage and the swivel won't be stuck in the twilli

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

There were several responses in which 30lb Mono is used for the riggers plus a Fluoro Leader. I was under the impression that most fishermen are connecting the Mono right to a Flasher/Fly. Are you saying you should use a leader between the 30lb Mono and the FF?
Thanks-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The 30 lb mono is the main downrigger line followed by a #8 Spro swivel to which a section of fluoro leader (length is personal preference I use about 25 ft). I use 12 lb fluoro for the Finger lakes and 20 lb for Lake O. To that a solid ring ball bearing swivel is attached. This is for spoons from the down riggers and possibly sticks althogh smetimes I omit the swivel for sticks. If you plan to run flasher/fly or Spinny/fly from the riggers no extra leader is necessary and  same for wire line just attach the swivel of the main line to the attractor on the riggers and to the dipsy with the wire. Hope this helps:)

Edited by Sk8man

Ok, I thought I had it all figured out...I like the sound of 19 strand wire and the fact I don’t have to put new tips on the rods...question, what kind of “knot?” Does one use for that?

Ok, on to the Downriggers...I went to Amazon shopping 40# PowerPro and SpyderWire...there were a lot of folks saying break strength was far less than advertised...anyone have any thoughts on those complaints? 

Thanks Again!

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

The 30 lb mono is the main downrigger line followed by a #8 Spro swivel to which a section of fluoro leader (length is personal preference I use about 25 ft). I use 12 lb fluoro for the Finger lakes and 20 lb for Lake O. To that a solid ring ball bearing swivel is attached. This is for spoons from the down riggers and possibly sticks althogh smetimes I omit the swivel for sticks. If you plan to run flasher/fly or Spinny/fly from the riggers no extra leader is necessary and  same for wire line just attach the swivel of the main line to the attractor on the riggers and to the dipsy with the wire. Hope this helps:)

Thank you Sir! I’m just starting out on my first full season coming up and trying to absorb all this mind boggling info! Makes sense as far as the spoons and sticks are concerned! Appreciate the advice! 

Mike