color of salmon?

StormFront

which reminds me... why the F do people pull them by the dozens on shore to rot? Let them spawn and die on their own so we have better numbers! If you don't know what I'm talking about, take a walk along any creek in October and see the shores lined with them (5'+ away from the water). I understand collecting eggs to tie your own sacks, but WTF! Last year Sandy Creek in Hamlin was a war zone.

Hey SinDale,

I know exactly what you are talking about. Last year on Sandy I told a guy that you really should not just gut the fish for the eggs and leave the rest on the shore line. I got a reply like @#%#@#% Then he got a little more irrate with me and started flashing his knife. I am like whatever and I left. DEC needs to patrole this stream a lot more!

I'm from Indiana and they have strict laws against this (we call it 'zipping' a fish). If you are caught you get a big fine. what alot of people do not understand is that there is natural reproduction going on and the decaying carcasses provide a lot of nutrients that need to go back in the water for food for smolts and other marine life. Letting them rot on shore or in the trash can does not do anything good except for rodents, maggots, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

found this on cityofrochester.gov/index.cfm?id=393

FISH CARCASS DISPOSAL LAWS

It is illegal to discard any fish carcass or parts into the freshwaters of the state within 100 feet of shore, or on public or private land within 100 feet of the water, except:

* By owners of those lands;

* Live fish or fish required to be returned as directed by other laws and regulations;

* Bait;

* By proper disposal into suitable garbage or refuse collection systems or by burial; and

* For incidental cleaning of fish to be consumed, but not within 100 feet of any public launching or docking site (unless suitable refuse collection system is used).

Back to the original reason for this post though, if there isn't any visible decay, I've heard its safe eating as long as its thoroughly smoked/cooked. I had some that a friend of mine smoked last year, from a dark green king, and it was delish!

if you cut the gills and through the tail of a salmon while it is still alive it will bleed out and die quickly. this helps alot with the quality of the meat later.

unless its warm, i always felt it was better to kill the fish and keep it moist in the shade than to keep it on a leash in the water, and i never let a dead fish soak in the water. yuk!

• 2 weeks later...

as far as the lifting snagging thats just an inexpireanced fisherman not knowing any better .when i see people do this then its time to enlighten them .problem is they just dont take the time to read the regs and learn to fish these are'nt sunnys of the dock in the pond .most will thank you others will tell you to get f#$@ed .thats my two cents