Ohio walleye

bettieanne

Looking to make our first trip to the west end of lake erie as soon as the weather allows.  I have done a little research and it seem the areas around sandusky is the best area to fish. I was woundering if you have to go that far into ohio to get into walleyes. I know ther around dunkirk in the spring ( nitebite) so i would like to think they could be all thru the west end. But i would prefer not to find out the hard way and fish daylight since it will be unfamiliar waters. Thanks

I've been once to Port Clinton. We stayed in a hotel there and launched out of Catawba,

it was really simple , there were a ton of people launching (prolly100 or more),  but everyone knew what they were doing.and it went pretty quick.

Right in Port Clinton  we found a place a place that will fillet your fish , you just drop them off, they give you a ticket, and pick them up after a while. Theres a few bars to eat at right in town.

Our plan was to go this weekend but mother nature says crappy weather so probably next weekend for us.

As for fishing info check out walleye.com, western reports.

Jim

Yea any info as to where to stay and launch would be muc appreciated.  Born to fish, we are hopeing (weather dependant)  to head out from kendall friday sometime an maybe we can meet up for a drink.  Was talking to the crew thats goin an i mentioned the lou post an come to find out u fished with my buddy dan on lake o for salmon. Thanks for the replies!

• Like 1

Launch out of Wild Wings Marina, start in 10-15FOW and stay away from the packs.  Tons of reef structure you’ll mark, that’s where the pack will be.

We did well out to 17FOW, all smaller jacks.  16-18”.

Hair jigs with stingers, Greens and Purples worked best for us.  

Got blown off Saturday.  Will be back this weekend.  Have any questions, PM me.

wild wings is where you want to launch this time of yr. the fish are spawning on the reefs now but later will spread out around the islands. then the migration starts and huge schools move east. i fish Geneva in the central basin starting around the 10th of july and the fish are usually there by then.

Yea any info as to where to stay and launch would be muc appreciated.  Born to fish, we are hopeing (weather dependant)  to head out from kendall friday sometime an maybe we can meet up for a drink.  Was talking to the crew thats goin an i mentioned the lou post an come to find out u fished with my buddy dan on lake o for salmon. Thanks for the replies!
Good luck out there, safe travels,Tight lines!

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes they we're! I have never seen so many boats, it was unbelievable. Plenty of areas to search for fish tho. We trolled for ours, 98 percent of people were jigging tho. Gotem in front of power plant in 14 to 16 fow with smithwicks an bayrats. Deep divers with short leads goin 1.4 on gps. Got a couple good ones, that came on the bayrats. Water was dirty an cold 42. Awsome area to fish an they cater to fisherman. 

• Like 1

We made it out for Saturday only.

We Spent too much time trolling the deep water looking for big ones, it was  muddy water..

Jigged the reefs and did ok on the smaller males.

It really is a great place to fish though, tons of different options, plus plenty of bait shops , places to eat , etc.

Cant wait to go back.