Boat Re-wired & Other Repairs, Before & After

Todd in NY

4 hours ago, wishinfishin said:

Looking great Todd, I've been watching the progress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks! No work done today. Gotta get the trailer bearings out so I can make sure they are road-worthy, maybe this weekend, due to thunderstorms tomorrow (Friday).

I'm happy with the progress, considering spring just arrived a few days ago :( . I'd be done if April weather was closer to normal. Oh well, mother nature rules.

12 minutes ago, NymphO said:

Lots of good stuff !! Looking good ! And I'm not certain I'm fit for a full time boat Reno job, but if you think of a catchy name, I'll consider a partnership. Lol.

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lol, I'm just winging it on hopes and prayers. The repairs on this boat looked so bad that when I dropped it off at my favorite marina last October they didn't know where to start, or how to tell me their honest opinion without hurting my feelings, Lol. But 5 weeks later, with some engine and fuel system tuning & repairs, they were impressed and surprised by how well it ran. Then it was up to me to do the rest (interior and electrical).

The last 3 boats I've bought (including this Sabre) have all been good examples of how NOT to wire a boat and trailer.

It's been a good experience, and rewarding, but I'm not sure I'm ready for any full time stuff either. It would cut into my fishing time :lol: .

Finally got the trailer bearings out yesterday. I cleaned them up the best I could, they were caked with dark grease. But the bearings, seals, and races all looked good so I packed the bearings with new grease and re-installed them. I used new cotter pins but that was all that needed to be replaced. It took most of the afternoon because 3 different neighbors had to stop and talk after they drove by and saw the wheels off the trailer. I live in the country, so it's rare to have neighbors drop in for a visit, let alone 3 neighbors in the same afternoon!

Now all the major work is done, so I'll be focusing on making more storage in the boat. Don't freak out on me... there's a jack stand under the trailer :)

IMG_20180505_125246309_HDR.thumb.jpg.2a0f009ca2284e19f0e0e11de53bc25f.jpg

IMG_20180505_134908291_HDR.thumb.jpg.e004aede0398fb6ca06802d3d6625570.jpg

Edited by Todd in NY
  • Like 1

My wife did some painting on the boat today, some of the left seat box and the 2x6 under the rear of the hardtop.

I got a rocket launcher from a good friend on Friday, and I was going to mount it on my hard top, but my hardtop isn't flat. It has a raised rib down the middle, from front to back, and the top angles slightly downward. Mounting the rocket launcher on the roof would require me to bend the rocket launcher, which I don't want to do.

So I screwed two 2x4's together to make a 4x4, which my wife also painted today. That 4x4 will be bolted to the back of the hardtop 2x6, and the rocket launcher will get mounted on that 4x4.

This pic shows the gaps between the roof and rocket launcher

IMG_20180506_193016162_HDR.thumb.jpg.47636c7c64f77dded0b039b38c439b70.jpg

More pics to follow tomorrow (Monday) after I install the rocket launcher.

Edited by Todd in NY

Trailer lights suffer from a poor grounding system due to corrosion in the bolted together frame members. Run a new solid wire to the tail lights mounting bolts direct to the white wire on the light connector. Then you have a solid grounding system.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Todd in NY said:

My wife did some painting on the boat today, some of the left seat box and the 2x6 under the rear of the hardtop.

I got a rocket launcher from a good friend on Friday, and I was going to mount it on my hard top, but my hardtop isn't flat. It has a raised rib down the middle, from front to back, and the top angles slightly downward. Mounting the rocket launcher on the roof would require me to bend the rocket launcher, which I don't want to do.

So I screwed two 2x4's together to make a 4x4, which my wife also painted today. That 4x4 will be bolted to the back of the hardtop 2x6, and the rocket launcher will get mounted on that 4x4.

This pic shows the gaps between the roof and rocket launcher

IMG_20180506_193016162_HDR.thumb.jpg.47636c7c64f77dded0b039b38c439b70.jpg

More pics to follow tomorrow (Monday) after I install the rocket launcher.

Why not just cut the plate between the 3rd & 4th rod holder and mount as 2 separate units?

My boat has a raised center on the hard top as well. Its used for a wire chase for lighting, radar mount etc. So when I purchased the rocket launchers I just got 2 separate units and mounted on either side of the ridge.

Edited by rookie fisherman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jimski2 said:

Trailer lights suffer from a poor grounding system due to corrosion in the bolted together frame members. Run a new solid wire to the tail lights mounting bolts direct to the white wire on the light connector. Then you have a solid grounding system.

Agreed! The trailer is aluminum I-beam, but the connections we're corroded real bad. I have the new tail lights grounded to the frame and I replaced ALL connectors with new heat shrink connectors. Everything works as it should now, and the new lights and  connectors will last a very long time.

I got called in to work just before lunch yesterday, so I didn't get the rocket launcher mounted until last night after dark.

I needed 5.5" long bolts, but all I could find were 6" zinc bolts, not stainless like I wanted. The 6" bolts didn't have enough threads on them so I had to break out my tap & die set and add nearly 3/4" of threads to all five bolts. I attached the two 2x4's to the back of the hardtop with five 1/4" zinc bolts, using stainless washers and nuts. Then used six #10 stainless screws to attach the rocket launcher to the top of the 2x4's. The wood has two coats of exterior paint.

IMG_20180508_074645.thumb.jpg.ab290dc533c3eb8bd1f13c12f6a85174.jpg

IMG_20180508_074748.thumb.jpg.d54ae5c10988fad162d72d696acb7c48.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PeltHunter said:

Everything looks way better. Awesome work man!

Thanks! I might do some painting today, especially the right side seat box. It's bare wood, and it looks pretty rough. If I paint it, and the rest of the left seat box, I should get a few more years out of them. With the addition of that rocket launcher I now have 21 rod holders, so I won't be adding any more.

I've spent all of my time working on the boat and trailer, so now I have to get my rods and tackle boxes ready and setup.

I'm planning our maiden voyage this Friday for some walleye.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Todd in NY said:

Thanks! I might do some painting today, especially the right side seat box. It's bare wood, and it looks pretty rough. If I paint it, and the rest of the left seat box, I should get a few more years out of them. With the addition of that rocket launcher I now have 21 rod holders, so I won't be adding any more.

I've spent all of my time working on the boat and trailer, so now I have to get my rods and tackle boxes ready and setup.

I'm planning our maiden voyage this Friday for some walleye.

Not sure if you have given it any thought but you could wrap it all in vinyl if you wanted instead of painting it. It would probably last a little longer and it looks like you have plenty of room around your doors and drawers where it wouldn't interfere wrapping it around to the inside for a clean look. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chas0218 said:

Not sure if you have given it any thought but you could wrap it all in vinyl if you wanted instead of painting it. It would probably last a little longer and it looks like you have plenty of room around your doors and drawers where it wouldn't interfere wrapping it around to the inside for a clean look. 

Good idea to consider, thanks! Never crossed my mind.

The exterior looks much different now than it did when I bought it last fall. It was stripped down to nothing before I bought it. Now it looks like a fishing boat.

Before

IMG_20180509_173250.thumb.jpg.a93f982157572013f1b61f18c1fbb1d1.jpg

After

IMG_20180509_173132.thumb.jpg.9173771c0b00288decc980549f1ca396.jpg

Edited by Todd in NY

25 minutes ago, lineman49 said:

Nice job, but wondering why your 3 rod holders are so far forward, it appears as if they will be a pain to get to?  jmo.

Lol, I put those triples there after I gave up on finding a rocket launcher. The front rod holder was going to get angled slightly forward to hold the net or 2. The middle holder was going to hold a rod that isn't being used, and the rear holder was going to hold a rod for a planer board (inline). This was also planned way before I knew I would have a rocket launcher. I'll still use the triples as planned before, but the front holder will be used for rod storage and the nets will go in the rocket launcher. The single rod holders are for dipsy rods or planer boards. Each rigger has three rod holders too, for a total of 21 rod holders. No, I won't be adding any more rod holders :lol:

Edited by Todd in NY

A little white paint goes a long way. We almost got all the bare wood on the right side seat box painted with one coat before it rained.

IMG_20180509_172457746_HDR.thumb.jpg.27f389adbb9332b31c9d1080ecd66a99.jpg

I put the Exide batteries in the boat and realized they are too tall for the battery brackets, so I'll try to buy some different hold down brackets today. Also attached an aluminum yard stick on the composite transom board.

IMG_20180510_095557299_HDR.thumb.jpg.98bafeb8c473c863580d1d2273c6b407.jpg

Tried to start the main motor last night after dinner. It would start but wouldn't keep running. I suspected a bad fuel line & primer bulb because I could here air leaking around the hose clamps, and the primer bulb wasn't staying firm. Made a trip to Walmart last night and bought their last fuel line. Installed it this morning and the main motor ran perfectly. I then filled up my 100 gallon stock tank and ran the kicker motor. It's a 1980 Evinrude so it doesn't run on muffs.

Everything is looking like the maiden voyage will be tomorrow for some walleye action around the Chaumont Bay area. Fish or no fish, I can't wait!

Edited by Todd in NY