6 hp kicker for 18.5 tracker Targa

If your getting a great deal on one than id say it will work, if your buying it new id go to an 8HP.  Especially if trolling with it on the big lake.

I was looking at a new tohatsu 6hp sail pro with high thrust prop and charging for 1500 I'm tight on money but really want a kicker for safety and trolling here and there. 20 " 8 hp is 1,850 without charging or highthrust prop

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Some really good info in the above posts to pay clase attention to....

You mentioned the safety issue and it is not only important but could be critical. You also mentioned being able to "get away" with the 6 hp.

Having the trolling motor is dual purpose: a) safety considerations, and b) being able to troll over a range of speeds economically in lieu of using your main motor.

Although you may be able to "get away" with the 6 hp single cylinder motor under relatively calm conditions whether on Lake O or one of the larger Finger Lakes to push your boat it should be considered "marginal" in terms of safely when responding to perhaps unexpected untoward conditions which involve wind and waves; both of which can relatively easily overpower a "marginal" horse powered motor regardless of the size of the craft. Many of us who have been out there in adverse conditions have a very healthy respect for these bodies of water. One of the main things is that you can never fully or accurately predict Mother Nature (or her wrath).

This is one issue where you want to be very sure of your choice and not jump the gun.Even new motors can fail out there and depending on a single cylinder marginally powered motor can be risky. The other thing is that usually things follow Murphy's law out there and the failures of motors and batteries and the onset of problems and the things you have to depend on seem to occur right at the wrong times and frequently when there isn't help available and with fast approaching adverse weather. When this happens and your main motor goes out and you are facing 12 ft waves you'd be wishing you had the biggest motor possible.  Marginal motors may be good trolling with the waves or wind but struggle to keep their path going agaainst it. 

Suggestion: Bite the bullet for an 8 or 9.9 hp motor OR wait to get a motor and save up for it rather than being disappointed in your choice after reality strikes:)

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2

I run a 6hp johnson on my 19' Monark.  Wide open it will push her 4.4 mph on a calm day.  I don't mind it on the small lakes, but going out for salmon I would rather have my 15 for back up.

I run a 6hp johnson on my 19' Monark.  Wide open it will push her 4.4 mph on a calm day.  I don't mind it on the small lakes, but going out for salmon I would rather have my 15 for back up.
Just an FYI for some folks, the 6 HP Merc (1997) I have avertised on this LOU site is a twin (2) cylinder, NOT a single. Always good to do a little self reaseach rather than take everything you read as 100 percent correct.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The OP was asking about 4 strokes. 6hp Merc 4 strokes are single cylinder. How is that providing misinformation?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No body used the word misinformation. I was responding to the comment that someone said 2 strokes run smoother than one. Just wanted folks to know that all 6 horse are not all singles.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have a 8hp Yamaha on my Lund Pro V- quiet, smooth, max about 5 mph and gets down to a little over 1 mph.  Long shaft non-high thrust.  8 hp should work fine on a 18 Targa.