We put in @ the new marina ,   Beware the new Channel out to the lake has a 4 inch steel pole  bent over and  is about 6 inches out of the water right in the center of the channel ,I was talking to a charter boat captain he said he ran aground on the west side of the new channel  and also warned me about the pipe that’s bent over in the center of the channel . He did report it ! STAY ON EAST SIDE OF THE CHANNEL GOING IN AND OUT  Besides that we had at fairly good day fishing  went 8 for 10  on spoons 6 feet of water just west of the bay IN 2 1/2 hrs

C081BAD3-974B-4EB5-85E7-59DAB71EA656.jpeg

99992E0C-4901-459D-8FE4-5794A1DC9262.jpeg

Simply amazing with all the work being done at the marina to get boats in there and the outlet is dredged like s#;t. It's like building a mall before the roads to get there. The common sense of people on this Earth is amazingly aweful.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boatino said:

Budweiser,

Still inside the markers on the east side or on the east side outside of the markers?  How was the depth?

John

On the inside of the markers (on the east side of the channel) it ranged from 3’ to 6’ .Same old scenario sand in the channel from a predominantly west wind .

Ok so where does this end....? Did $2600 worth of damage to my boat 8/16 took contractor to court for damages and got told by Judge, Gibbs marine (the sub to the Wesson Group) whom is the US Army Corps prime. He's not responsible for the damage. I want to know who else will get hurt or killed before someone steps in and does something. Gibbs marine admits installing channel markers BEFORE dredging the channel then takes them out but this isn't negligence !?!?
Now there's steel pipe sticking up in the channel WTF !

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Same as every year. Funky at best and knee high by the Fourth of July.
Ya but we used to be able to get through the sand now it a gunlet of old concrete and steel ... Some one will loose there life if nothing is done. Last year when I limped into the launch there was a Bayliner with his whole lower unit in the back of his pickup. He came thru the channel on plane and it ended BAD

• Like 1

I got instructions on the new channel last August. I left and went fishing (stayed right) I was told to stay right returning. I smacked my prop and lower unit. Folks saw it happen and came over to talk to me. Told me they watched a boat loose both props on a twin a week prior. They hit and several others. I hit solid cement or rocks. I still have to take my prop in to get fixed and figure out what to do with the skag. It looks like someone took a bite out of it.

• Like 1

I want ANYONE who knows of or has in fact run into the rocks to send a PM, I know I wasn't alone and do know there's a law suit for negligence to recoup damages to OUR boats ..... Strength in numbers people.
The town of Greece screwed up big time and they need to be held accountable.
I've already had a judge tell me Gibbs Marine isn't the negligent party even thou they set the channel markers

• Like 1

It’s not the  Marina , the State just spent 9 million to build a new break wall
and dredged the channel . It was supposed to fix the problem !!!

Thank you, this "port" has been home for many of us. Now that the US Army Corps has constructed a break wall you have to use this channel. And it's not safe END OF STORY !!!
If someone spends millions of the tax payers $$$ and makes things worse ???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jason said:

Ok so why use the marina if you guys know that there is a problem and the marina refuses to fix the issues or damages. This reminds me of the old coyote and road runner cartoon. Every time there is tunnel painted on the rocks you try to keep running through.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Jason, I worked at this marina when I was in high school (I grew up off of Lowden Pt Rd). I worked for Red Grey in the early 80's, best job I ever had. With that said, I know this bay like the back of my hand. So, why would I need new instructions to navigate the new channel. Just follow the rules. Red / right return. Well, when launching my boat I was told keep right in both directions and the water was "sketchy". Thank god it was blowing hard and I was only going 10mph when I hit. But, when I got to the dock several people came up to look at my boat on the trailer and my lower unit and prop. They all had stories of night time and day time underwater accidents. Here is what I was told. The pipes for navigation were placed for the barge. The barge was in the east channel removing "Stuff". It placed the "stuff" in the west channel and never removed it (due to the high water and the barge was able to make more money on high water projects and never returned to finish the job it was paid to do). So, if you ever use the west channel it is full of old cement and railroad tracks and telephone pole stumps. This is what I was told, not what I can prove. Except I did hit there). There is no true USCG markings on anything. Just 12 (I think) white pipes. the outer pipes (east/west) were 6" or 8" in diameter (4 or 6 per side) and the middle pipes were aprox. 2" round. All white. So, what do you follow. I was going to take my outbound path back in but this day had 4+ footers and other boats in that channel. I took the westerly channel because it was full. That proved to be a BAD idea. What there should have been was two GIANT RED no-go signs attached the the outer markers indicating to all boaters that the west channel is closed for navigation and all vessels should use the east channel only. There should have been very good written instructions at the launch ramp on the use of the new channel. It should have also noted the hazards in the west channel if you were to stray over there. Just my .02 on that. Many people did 1000s of dollars in damage to their boats last summer. Several of them came and spoke with me while I was wiping my boat down.

• Like 1

X2 with Whaler-no new news on this story.  I kept my boat in Braddocks from 1983 to 1988.  Channel was always a challenge especially in a NE wind and you had to pull early.  With prices going up and the lake access issues, I decided to get out and trailer instead.  When I was in Rochester for Easter, I drove through the marina.  Scratched my head then about the investment going on without any major changes to permanently remedy the depth and silt issues for lake access.

Remember two things, the break wall project had nothing to do with establishing or maintaining a good channel. Secondly, the bay isn’t classified as a navigable waterway.
The project was for the benefit of silt mitigation, pike and muskrat habitat.
Whomever left that pipe in the water should have some liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Whaler is correct.   As to the "dredging"  it was postponed for 2017 due to the high water,  I am sure you guys remember that.

There was a 5 mph speed limit within 600 feet of shore, as well.

Coming into Braddock on plane might be what the lawyers call reckless, what makes the damages incurred a "self inflicted hardship."

There were only 3 well attended public meetings on the project 

http://www.lrb.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/District-Projects/Braddock-Bay/

Edited by Lucky13

41 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Remember two things, the break wall project had nothing to do with establishing or maintaining a good channel. Secondly, the bay isn’t classified as a navigable waterway.
The project was for the benefit of silt mitigation, pike and muskrat habitat.
Whomever left that pipe in the water should have some liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That information is not like what I read back when they started this project (Yes, a lot was for the wetlands). I was understanding that the project was built around moving the new channel and clearing all the old garbage out of the bay. This is why they are paying for a new groin jetty and have budgeted for continued dredging. Also starting this month according to recent data. I hope you are wrong about no attention to the channel. I like that launch ramp. I think it is the best in the county.

Edited by 180ccf