Setting up Otter boards

I've been following the forum for a few years, so thank you all for the great content.

Have a question about how to rig Otter boards. Just picked some up at Fat Nancy's and want to start running them.

I've heard of using a double rudder system but The original package only has one keel per board.

Is the double keel that much better?

Thanks in advance for the comments and replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, woodro said:

I've been following the forum for a few years, so thank you all for the great content.

Have a question about how to rig Otter boards. Just picked some up at Fat Nancy's and want to start running them.

I've heard of using a double rudder system but The original package only has one rudder per board.

Is the double rudder that much better?

Thanks in advance for the comments and replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They work just fine straight out of the box!

• Like 1

Off memory I think it is 8.5” front and 11.5” back. They are in my boat so I will have to check. Every connection point is reinforced with aluminum stock that you can get at Home Depot or Lowe’s. You can curl the aluminum backers to support the tow connection and use bolt-on eyelets to tie to instead of relying on the strength of the styrofoam to support ( it will break over time). 

Not shown on that photo is I added another aluminum backer to sandwich the styrofoam on the tow string edge of board and then added bolt thru eyelets to tie the string to. All problems inherent with original board set up were fixed with modifications. I run these in any waves. 

• Like 1

I run 9" form the knot to the front hole, and 11" from the knot to the back hole. 

If you're pulling big coppers these two tricks can help.

• Drill a hole 3/4" -1" under the original holes where the rope goes into the board.
  • Add another keel with a half weight.
  • Like 1