Rod holders for dipsy rods

I could go shorter if I could find an adapter that has hole big enough
Does the bolt come out? And not having the pin makes me wonder what stops it from rotating around I get you can tighten it but once you get out toward the end when it's angled downward that's alot of leverage to loosen it rather easily.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I did have problems with it loosening. But now I took it a part it looks to have a set screw off to the side. I’m gonna see tommorow if I can get apart more tomorrow. Getting ready rig my new boat. I’m trying to cut corners and save where I can. I have 3 of these holders. Might not be worth fighting with them though

I did have problems with it loosening. But now I took it a part it looks to have a set screw off to the side. I’m gonna see tommorow if I can get apart more tomorrow. Getting ready rig my new boat. I’m trying to cut corners and save where I can. I have 3 of these holders. Might not be worth fighting with them though
Drill out pin...tap hole lock Tite in new pin won't have to worry about it.

Then when build adapters drill and tap center hole then drill hole for pin to fit in. Will tighten down and no longer rotate.

I'd be using them

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have Bert's Ratcheting rod holders on my boat.I use them for everything but my Dipsy rods.I use Down East Saltys on electronics mounts that I had.Some people on here have had problems getting jabbed with the rod butt or the rod butt taking up to much room in the boat. I have used them for years with no problem or has anyone with me.I just like my dipsy rods locked in.I run with my rod tips right at the water and fish solo often. My boat turns sharp at times while trolling against the wind just feel my dipsy rods are safer locked in.One good pull upward and the rod comes out.5ad5432f81384_0416181954(1).thumb.jpg.351001dea354b6dbe481e9225f4b7487.jpg 

15 hours ago, Todd in NY said:

I use single Tite-Lok rod holders for dipsy rods. Never failed me yet. I fish on a tight budget. I also have triple Tite-Lok rod holders, but I don't use them for dipsy rods.

i really don't want to slam your rod holders but tite lok isn't even in the same class as cannon ratcheting holders. i used tite loc's for awhile. but i just gave what i had to another fisherman a couple of weeks ago. after going to the cannon i have never been so pleased with a rod holder.

28 minutes ago, sherman brown said:

i really don't want to slam your rod holders but tite lok isn't even in the same class as cannon ratcheting holders. i used tite loc's for awhile. but i just gave what i had to another fisherman a couple of weeks ago. after going to the cannon i have never been so pleased with a rod holder.

I agree with you 100%, and I am not offended at all! Trust me, if I could afford the top of the line equipment I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I posted what I use, just in case other people out there can't afford the best of the best. One day I will own a better set of dipsy rod holders. But until then, I will make due with my single Tite-Loks. My triple Tite-Lok rod holders are strictly for rod and net storage.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Todd in NY said:

I agree with you 100%, and I am not offended at all! Trust me, if I could afford the top of the line equipment I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I posted what I use, just in case other people out there can't afford the best of the best. One day I will own a better set of dipsy rod holders. But until then, I will make due with my single Tite-Loks. My triple Tite-Lok rod holders are strictly for rod and net storage.

i can feel where your coming from. I've been there and done that. thats the reason i used the tite loc holders myself. then i invested in a set of cabelas quickdraw rod holders. they were great until i started running divers. then i was just a little worried that they might break and lose a rig. and thank god i had a little money and invested in the cannon holders. but they was like 60 bucks a pop then for the single axis which is the ones i like best. there like 80.00 now on amazon plus the tracks. i started getting mine off ebay then finished up at amazon.

I'll bet you that member is extremely thankful !!!

I'm also in the titelok crew. They are Def not half as nice as the cannons ( next up on my to get list) but are sturdy and do the job. Pulling the rod fast is definately an art especially when there's a heavy king on the end of the line,but easy enough to do when your a weekend warrior on a budget.

My friend who got me in this game runs the Scotty plastics. He's been on ladyO for a dozen years and is very successful. Divers, boards, whatever and the Scotty's haven't failed. Surprising but they have held up great. Obviously not his first choice but they get the job done !

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, NymphO said:

I'll bet you that member is extremely thankful !!!

I'm also in the titelok crew. They are Def not half as nice as the cannons ( next up on my to get list) but are sturdy and do the job. Pulling the rod fast is definately an art especially when there's a heavy king on the end of the line,but easy enough to do when your a weekend warrior on a budget.

My friend who got me in this game runs the Scotty plastics. He's been on ladyO for a dozen years and is very successful. Divers, boards, whatever and the Scotty's haven't failed. Surprising but they have held up great. Obviously not his first choice but they get the job done !

yes he was happy to get them. and your going to not want to believe this but the last boat i bought came with 2 scotty holders and i gave them to him also. i also just upgraded my radio to one with built in gps. i asked if he needed my old radio, and he did. all it cost him for the holders and radio was shipping. i sure was glad i could help a new guy out.

• Like 1

yes he was happy to get them. and your going to not want to believe this but the last boat i bought came with 2 scotty holders and i gave them to him also. i also just upgraded my radio to one with built in gps. i asked if he needed my old radio, and he did. all it cost him for the holders and radio was shipping. i sure was glad i could help a new guy out.
Let me guess, he bought you a coffee ?

Big Jon Ratcheting diver Holders no question for me.  Big Jon are so heavy duty and great customer service as well.   Ratcheting makes grabbing the rod extremely easy when it starts screaming   A bit pricey but well worth it in my opinion

There are a few models of triple Big Jons with different pricing. I'm looking at the heavy duty diver models and I suspect that one model is perhaps older (and maybe problems with it?) as it is over $100 cheaper than the other and the other has what looks like a more solid base to each individual rod holder. Anyone with direct experience with each? The first pic is of the more expensive and perhaps more sturdy? set.

heavyduty.jpeg

tripleratchet.jpeg

Les, I haven't seen a product description for the Big Jon triple or quad rod holders that say they are ok for dipsy rods. That doesn't mean they won't stand up to dipsy rod "abuse" but it does make you wonder.

The Tite-Lok triple rod holders says it's ok for planer board rods, and that's the most "abuse" my triple Tite-Loks  will see.

I know the Big Jon holders are much better quality, and a lot more sturdy than Tite-Loks, so I'm not comparing the two. I'm simply stating that the Big Jon item description doesn't specify dipsy rod use or just planer board use like the Tite-Lok triple holder does.

Edited by Todd in NY

I believe these particular models are designed for dipsy use and appear to be sturdier than the other models commonly used and which are less expensive.