Rod holders for dipsy rods

21 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

I believe these particular models are designed for dipsy use and appear to be sturdier than the other models commonly used and which are less expensive.

I agree that they would probably hold up. It would be nice for Big Jon to advertise their intended purpose. I've used several different Big Jon single rod holders and they were all very sturdy and built like a tank.

13 hours ago, Sk8man said:

There are a few models of triple Big Jons with different pricing. I'm looking at the heavy duty diver models and I suspect that one model is perhaps older (and maybe problems with it?) as it is over $100 cheaper than the other and the other has what looks like a more solid base to each individual rod holder. Anyone with direct experience with each? The first pic is of the more expensive and perhaps more sturdy? set.

heavyduty.jpeg

tripleratchet.jpeg

i have been using the holders in the second pictures for years with mag divers and plenty of matures king hits and never had a problem.

Up until this year i have used the Cannon Dual Axis holders without any problems at all.  I currently have 4 of them.  To mix it up Im going to buy two Cisco rod holders.  I like the infinite adjustability of them.  I can get them to whatever angle I desire...instead of the fixed positions of the Cannons.

i have the cannon single axis and the berts ratcheting on  mine one of each on each side the cannons are my first choice for dipseys by far ant the berts get used only when running 2 a side.  I also have some big jons like in the second picture on Ska8mans post not the triple but two on what is supposed to be a down rigger plate on the center of my transom I use them for chute rods or a net holder or a down rigger rod or just another place to put a rod when you need to move something in a hurry.  

The cannon single axis are by far and away the best think i have ever seen for a dipsey the one hand thing in either direction is genius also no worry's about caps coming off and rock solid in the tracks.   berts work just fine and one handed up is good for big hits but i find they sometimes get a little sticky in the ratchet mechanism wd-40 fixes it but has never happened with the cannons.

the big johns are solid enough but are a two handed adjustment also the single bolt in the middle means they are prone to turning.  no big deal where i have them and how i use them but I would never trust a dipsey off the side in one, though i have put a dipsey there in the center to net a fish on the side of the boat.

Rome wasn't built in a day. I've had my saber 14 years now. Every year I try and do something new to it. I started off with a set of Big Jon Dipsy rod holders I bought for for $35 off a retiring Charter captain. My second set of Big Jon Dipsy rod holders I bought Here on Lou I think I paid 75 bucks. Recently I just bought a pair of Canon dual axle ratcheting holders . I rather buy good used equality equipment. Then buy a piece of equipment that will fail and you end up buying another set of rod holders that are quality that'll work and hold up to the abuse of what we put them through.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, ifishy said:

i have the cannon single axis and the berts ratcheting on  mine one of each on each side the cannons are my first choice for dipseys by far ant the berts get used only when running 2 a side.  I also have some big jons like in the second picture on Ska8mans post not the triple but two on what is supposed to be a down rigger plate on the center of my transom I use them for chute rods or a net holder or a down rigger rod or just another place to put a rod when you need to move something in a hurry.  

The cannon single axis are by far and away the best think i have ever seen for a dipsey the one hand thing in either direction is genius also no worry's about caps coming off and rock solid in the tracks.   berts work just fine and one handed up is good for big hits but i find they sometimes get a little sticky in the ratchet mechanism wd-40 fixes it but has never happened with the cannons.

the big johns are solid enough but are a two handed adjustment also the single bolt in the middle means they are prone to turning.  no big deal where i have them and how i use them but I would never trust a dipsey off the side in one, though i have put a dipsey there in the center to net a fish on the side of the boat.

The big jons in the pic are not a single bolt.  They are in a track with 2 set screws holding them in place   impossible for them to turn.  The duals that I run are specifically made for dispels and are indestructable so far

If they have good beefy pins they would be fine two screws would be better I've seen tight locs where the washer was completely stripped I have tracks for the side mounts and I test them by holding myself up I am not skinny with salmon quality gear is worth the investment even if it takes years or a lifetime

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

As long as the tracks are well mounted they can take anything the gunnel can take big washers or even better a backing plate underneath

I put full length .25 thick plate solid as a rock and for the price of the material on eBay can't go wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ah OK thanks. If I decide to do it I'm going to rig some of the heavy duty ones on gimbal mounts but I still haven't made up my mind to spring for them.....:)

16 hours ago, ifishy said:

As long as the tracks are well mounted they can take anything the gunnel can take big washers or even better a backing plate underneath

for just holders i have my tracks mounted with ss screws and they are very solid. i lifted my 220#'s off the ground and bounced a few times on the end of a couple of holders. but for riggers i still wouldn't trust them without backing plates or at least using fender washers as backing and bolt all the way through the gunnel. its better to be safe than sorry.