Plumb kicker motor to main tank

55 minutes ago, fisherdude said:

i also was looking at the ck valve to use .i was told that the in line anti-siphon has the potential to still draw air . so i played it safe and went with the shut off valve . Hank was one of the marina mechanics i talk to  before doing my install . how about a inline shut vale on the kicker fuel hose outside the transom .any ways i wish you good luck with the upcoming job .

That's a good idea... simple small inline shutoff and would pretty much guarantee I wouldn't have any issues. Thanks!

I am secure with separate fuel tanks for both engines. you can pick up the kicker tank to ensure you have fuel. The plastic tank is translucent and if you have a water problem it is visible by just looking into the tank. Keep it covered if water spray lands on the tank as the fuel fitting if it is not sealed will suck in water when the engine is running. But a portable tank is easily cleaned of water and sediment, sludge or contaminants. It is also an emergency fuel source when you run out of fuel. Yes it takes up valuable space but three times my trolling motor brought me home since 2004. 

Edited by jimski2

i guess you could say there is pros / cons to both systems . a good water fuel separator will take care of water and contaminants in any main tank . i 'm set up with both ,i have a saber and took out the helm side box pedestal seat . i made a large box seat and mounted a swivel / slide seat . witch holds under the seat  a 3 and 6  gallon portable tanks . so have plenty of room and not tripping over tanks inside the boat . one reason i wanted to use the main tank to run my kicker is i was going to the gas station very time to fill the portable tank/tanks to go fishing . ( the four stroke is way better than my 2 stroke was on gas but still a pain filling tanks ).. the main tank to the saber is 40 gallons and i could fish 8 trips without  even thinking of getting gas with running on the main to where i want to set up and fish on four stroke kicker , having no room for a portable tank in the back of the boat or having to bungee cord it down and hopping it don't fall out of the boat when on your way could end up having no tank when you get to the ramp . ask Sk8man ....

i know this doesn't address the issue itself but I had initially considered hooking up my 4 stroke kicker to my main 60 gal. gas tank but the more I thought about it I decided to just go with a separate straight hookup in case for some reason  the gas in the main tank became compromised in  some way or the main tank itself or hose etc.malfunctioned in some way for safety reasons rather than pure convenience. That way if one or the other became a problem I could still get back home....call me a little paranoid but it seems that in the past anytime I have had some sort of problem out there the weather was turning bad etc. and that is when mechanical things tend to go bad....:)

Edited by Sk8man

I understand the added benefit of a 2nd tank, but I'm only running an 18ft boat so space is at a premium to begin with. I spend most of my fishing time on oneida lake for walleye and only make maybe 10 trips to ontario a year. I'm also very vigilant about the weather when I go out, being in such a small boat. I have alot of respect for Lake O and don't even attempt to go out in even remotely sketchy conditions.

I hear you my boat is 18 ft also and I should also mention that I fish the larger Finger Lakes and they as well as Onieda in particular can be just as dangerous as Lake O under the "wrong" conditions. The space issue is a valid consideration though. I luckily have an area on my transom that a 3 gal tank fits perfectly within so it is located at the outside of the boat interior.... I also keep a 1 gal. container of gas in the boat and a small container of 2 stroke oil in the event that someone else runs out of gas or I need the gas itself myself:lol: I can hear my buddies and family members laughing right now but a number of them did also about my tire inflator kept in my vehicle until I bailed their butts out repeatedly :lol:

Edited by Sk8man