Yankee's 9/14 Genny Report

We were the first boat out of the pier heads and didn't see much on the screen as we worked the mouth for one pass. We turned the boat North and headed out to where we were the day before. WE got out to the 40' range and the fish were there. However, we again had a tough time getting them to open their mouths. First hit was on a Green dot SmartFish pulling an Ultra Green Glow A-TOM-MIK fly. He hit the 40' wire on a 3 setting and was off within the first minute. Next the other wire took off with a White SmartFish/Sweat Pea A-TOM-MIK fly. During this battle The middle rigger would take off and we are doubled up! That was also a White/Dew SmartFish pulling an A-TOM-MIK TG fly. We boated both of these and one was 20ish and the other closer to 15 pounds. Everything gets re-set and I'm leaning against my corner rigger (my back turned) talking to the clients and I feel something jumping. I turn around and see the rod bobbing. I grab it and hand it off to one of them. Guess what that fish took? Sea Sick Waddler Spinny pulling an A-TOM-MIK Sweat Pea fly. Now I'm stoked! We boat that fish and it was a 10-12lb fish. We would go a while with nothing then the 300' copper takes off. I didn't have it out the full 300' and when the albright knot passed through the eyes of the rod it must of gotten hung up and SNAP. The copper broke right above the knot, and I mean right above! Anyway, that was my last white e-chip pulling an A-TOM-MIK White Halo fly. That would be it for our day. We watched other boats pull fish slowly, but we couldn't turn anything the last few hours.

I have to say I went through more attractor fly combos this weekend than ever before. Staging fish are tough! Real tough!