BRADDOCKS BAY WARNING UPDATE

GOOD NEWS FOR BRADDOCKS BAY, After I posted my blog last friday (BRADOCKS BAY WARNING) I had over 2,000 hits so I decited to get the latest update on the bay’s channel. I talked to the town of Greece prodject planner and he is working with the US ARMY CORE OF ENGINEERS. He said they were going to start working on the channel in the next couple of weeks.They did dredge the channel last year but did not finish because of high water,what they are going to do is widen the existing channel to be 150feet wide and two foot deeper (last year when they dredged it was between 5' & 6’deep) TIGHT LINES & SAFE BOATING TO ALL!

Edited by budweiser
  • Like 1

If you are envisioning a " jetty" in the conventional sense, like the piers at the mouth of the Genesee, you may be surprised.  Any sand pulled from west of the barrier and then replaced should be part of the Headlands Barrier

5. How will this project affect the nearshore (littoral) movement of sand in Lake Ontario?

In addition to protecting interior wetlands from erosion, the artificial headland beach is also expected to improve near-shore sand transport on Lake Ontario in the vicinity of Braddock Bay. Currently, near-shore sand, moving in an easterly direction down the shoreline, enters the bay and becomes trapped within. Similar to the historic land spits, the restored barrier beach will block some of this littoral sand from entering the bay, allowing it to remain in the near-shore system and provide sand to down drift beaches.
  • Similar headland breakwater structures have been successfully implemented at other sites on the Great Lakes to create beach shoreline. Since being constructed over twenty years ago, both Sims Beach in Euclid, Ohio and Maumee Bay State Park in Oregon, Ohio have retained their original shapes and not required any beach nourishment.

Figure 7   Sims Beach, Euclid Ohio in 1992
    Figure 7   Sims Beach, Euclid Ohio in 1992

Figure 8   Maumee Bay State Park, Oregon, OH, 1992
    Figure 8   Maumee Bay State Park, Oregon, OH, 1992

Similar channeling and potholing projects have been used at other sites on Lake Ontario to restore wetland diversity and habitat suitably. Excavation of channels and shallow open water areas are proposed as a method to diversify conditions in the emergent wetlands of Braddock Bay that are currently dominated by mono-typic cattail stands. This process, termed channeling and potholing, aims to increase the amount of open water areas interspersed within the wetland complex, allow a pathway for fish to enter the marsh interior and fringe sedge-grass meadows during flooded conditions, and ultimately increase the diversity of wetland habitats present. The variable topography and hydrology created through channeling and potholing will create a wider variety of conditions that can support a greater diversity of emergent, submergent, and sedge-grass meadow plant species within the interior of the marsh.

Thanks Lucky.  I was down at Braddocks a bunch when the project was going.  I was just wondering if the sand build up is actually working or if the Army Corps put it in front of the jetty(structure)?

John

13 hours ago, Boatino said:

That's great news. Brian do you think all of that sand is just from mother nature or did the place it there when they did the dredging last year?

John

post-139597-14768143781042_thumb.jpg

The sand has always been there.  It now has a nice big wall to collect in front of.  Look at this photo of the wall.  The North side of the wall is inches deep and there is a couple tons of sand waiting to fill the channel in.  A Jetty placed on each side of the channel keeping sand out of the channel would help big time. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was out a week ago Monday. Going out, no problem, stayed on my saved gps plot from last fall. Coming back in, my 17 foot tin boat with the top and side curtains up got hit with a gust of wind from the North East, and pushed me off course to the West. Before I could correct, I slid into the mid channel debris and hit the steel that's just below the water... ( it had a buoy marking it last fall)  Ended up with a 14ft. gouge along the bottom of the hull, a sheared off rivet, and a snapped off Airmar P66 transducer.  I've made repairs and am good to go, but may run out of the Genny until they  dig the debris out.... not worth risk with a light boat.

Edited by J.D.

On 5/5/2018 at 6:48 PM, J.D. said:

I was out a week ago Monday. Going out, no problem, stayed on my saved gps plot from last fall. Coming back in, my 17 foot tin boat with the top and side curtains up got hit with a gust of wind from the North East, and pushed me off course to the West. Before I could correct, I slid into the mid channel debris and hit the steel that's just below the water... ( it had a buoy marking it last fall)  Ended up with a 14ft. gouge along the bottom of the hull, a sheared off rivet, and a snapped off Airmar P66 transducer.  I've made repairs and am good to go, but may run out of the Genny until they  dig the debris out.... not worth risk with a light boat.

and your OK with this.... ????    The channel isn't safe for navigation !!!!  The town of Greece should be paying for every ones damages as they already know of this dangerous condition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jth21usa said:

I spoke to the town, they are saying that it’s the marina’s job to take care of the channel.

1 hour ago, jth21usa said:

Also was the steel in the marked channel?

The US Army Corps of Engineers...Officer Brian Steils contracting officer knows, Ms. Sheila Hint  the Project Manager of the Us Army Corps knows, The Wesson Group from Johnstown, NY  the contractor awarded the Restoration project knows. Gibbs Marine Group knows, they started the dredging,  knows. The Daniele family owns the marina and has warned everyone about the conditions entering exiting the channel knows and the Town of Greece says it's NOT there problem !!! 

I already tried to get reimbursed for damages to my boat (small claims) and was told by a city judge I brought the wrong party to court, guess it's time to bring the town in front of a Judge.... sure that will go over well !?!?

And FYI the US Coast Guard Station Rochester was made well aware that there is a dangerous situation at Braddocks Bay 

Edited by Lund SSS