BRADDOCKS BAY WARNING UPDATE

14 hours ago, Shakemsam said:

This issue sure gets a lot of attention for being over 40 years old. 

40 years old....... ????? Almost 5 million of federal monies was just use to "Improve" the marshlands in and around the bay. Now when they dumped hundreds of yards of rock across the opening to the lake and force the public into the old train trestle and tell you "be careful"  there's steel sticking up just under the surface !!!!!! THAT'S NOT OLD.  We used to be able to slide through the sand , maybe stir up some mud but never any damage. Now folks are gouging boats, wrecking lower units, and folding props.  Be careful my ARSE  

32 minutes ago, Lund SSS said:

40 years old....... ????? Almost 5 million of federal monies was just use to "Improve" the marshlands in and around the bay. Now when they dumped hundreds of yards of rock across the opening to the lake and force the public into the old train trestle and tell you "be careful"  there's steel sticking up just under the surface !!!!!! THAT'S NOT OLD.  We used to be able to slide through the sand , maybe stir up some mud but never any damage. Now folks are gouging boats, wrecking lower units, and folding props.  Be careful my ARSE  

Like I said....40 years old! The issue as YOU describe is the result of putting a bandaid over a bullet hole! Why do you think the State, County, and the TOG...gave up on that place decades ago. Gibbs, like

a lot of folks....trusted the gov. to come their rescue only to make matters worse. 

Are they dredging along the south side of the new wall? I see buoys w lights. Looks like Christmas out there tonight.

They using a pump dredge? They piping past the east pier?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

The only dredging associated with this project is obtaining sand from the channel area to the west of the stone Headlands barriers, which will open up the navigation channel and will be used to cover the stone and support vegetative plantings.  Here, for the umpteenth time, is the link to the USACE project information page.  I believe it is posted in this thread already, so I have to wonder if it makes any sense to repost, as reading skills are apparently in very short supply lately.   But just in case: http://www.lrb.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/District-Projects/Braddock-Bay/

Edited by Lucky13
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lucky13 said:

The only dredging associated with this project is obtaining sand from the channel area to the west of the stone Headlands barriers, which will open up the navigation channel and will be used to cover the stone and support vegetative plantings.  Here, for the umpteenth time, is the link to the USACE project information page.  I believe it is posted in this thread already, so I have to wonder if it makes any sense to repost, as reading skills are apparently in very short supply lately.   But just in case: http://www.lrb.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/District-Projects/Braddock-Bay/

Could you help me to answer these questions? :rock:

1 hour ago, Lucky13 said:

Put the sand on the Jetty only to get washed back into the channel on an East wind..........Haven't these engineers ever dug in the sand before?  With out Jetties going out to deeper water, Braddocks will be a useless port.....

17 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Put the sand on the Jetty only to get washed back into the channel on an East wind..........Haven't these engineers ever dug in the sand before?  With out Jetties going out to deeper water, Braddocks will be a useless port.....

It is all in the reports, but you would have to take the time to read them.

• 1 month later...

Well another year and another trashed outdrive.   Thanks to the dredge boat parked in the middle of the channel.   Only way out is go west of the dredge boat - right where all the crap is.    How the hell can they get away with this? An how can Marinas charge money in an un navigable bay.    Thanks for nothing!

I am all back together now. That channel got me for over $300.00 end of August last year. Folded a mirage plus SS prop and took a giant chunk out of my skag. Many people came up to me at the launch ramp to express their personal prop and lower unit stories. I could not believe how many people had hit and no one is taking any stance to remedy the situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ARA said:

Well another year and another trashed outdrive.   Thanks to the dredge boat parked in the middle of the channel.   Only way out is go west of the dredge boat - right where all the crap is.    How the hell can they get away with this? An how can Marinas charge money in an un navigable bay.    Thanks for nothing!

Did you hit something that wasn’t marked?

Roll Call...... How many people are going to hit something in a marked channel before its a tragic event and there an injury or a death.
$2600 dollars, a 4 blade SS prop and shaft with bearings.
I already went to court and was told I should bring the Town of Greece to court bye a city judge. After all the contractors are not responsible for there half ass work

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

It’s not a “navigable “ waterway.
Therefore there is no obligation to maintain a channel.
Couldn’t if you wanted to, structurally going to keep blowing in.
Amazed at the size of some of the boats docked this year and what they pay to dock there.

I'm on the east end, but find this facinating.   I'm interested in ports to the west and curious.  Why does anyone even bother here if its so damage prone?  Its one thing to have it be difficult due to sand blowing in via wind / current direction but having steel, concrete etc in the perceived channel or even just slightly outside  is just bonkers.  Especially if a dredge is making it harder to keep to the desired perfect line.  Yet people still use it.  Does this location provide access unattainable from east / west directions?  A few extra miles on the land or water even would seem worth it to avoid such a known difficulty.

I live on the south west corner of the bay. Keep a 15 Whaler on it for the last 10 years. It’s a great piece of water but it is what it is.