Any one pullin their boat w/honda ridgeline?

Fishstix

2008 GMC Denali PU! All wheel drive, 403 horse power, 6 speed automatic Allison tranny, stabiliatrac, tow haul mode with engine braking & load adjusted shift points by the tranny computer, Detroit locker rear end (both rear wheels turn, front ones too). Easilly handles 8K LBS. No wheel slippage in sandy launches or moss covered ramps, wide 20" wheels. 8,500 miles so far trouble free! Sweet ride!!!!!!!!

I pulled out a Ridgeline and a 21 I/O buried in the sand with my 2wd Silverado. It depends on the boat you are towing, but I used a 6 cylinder Chevy P/U for towing a 21' Aluminum Starcraft for 18 years and never had a problem. Mainly I rolled the boat off the roller trailer and used an electric winch to pull the boat up after setting the first roller in the water and kept my wheel bearings dry. If you have to float your boat on the trailer and have a heavy glass boat you may have troubles. The Honda has the power but you can't bury the boat and trailer as even 4WD won't help. Use a good concrete ramp.

My friend has one that he pulls his 17 ft. old-school ski boat with, and he loves it. He even says it out performs his wrangler when off-road at his camp down towards Dansville. Only thing he misses is the clearance. He's pulling out in gravel 90% of the time without any issues, but maybe your craft is heavier?

Anyways, great trucks. I'm going to trade my dakota in for one in the spring. Tons of storage and convenience, and its rated and performs well. It even has a built in live well!!!

I suspect you'll find the Ridgeline somewhat lacking in the towing department compared to the Tundra. If your Tundra has the V8 then you're going from a 7300 to a 5000 pound towing capacity. That may be enough for what you need, but expect those hills to be steeper.

I had a 2000 Tundra, and like you was looking for a change. Opted for a Tacoma (V6) which has a 6500 pound tow capacity. Almost the same size as the old Tundra, less bed space, more room inside (got the full 4 door).

I tow only occasionally, so it was hard to justify the daily cost of a "real" tow vehicle.

My Tacoma has a 6-spd manual, and a low range in the tranny. Honda makes a good vehicle, but the Ridgeline offers neither of those.

Hindsight being 20/20, would I do it again for the sake of change? I'm happy with the Tacoma, but would have kept the Tundra instead.

waterdog

My first Tundra V8 had 160,000 miles on it when I traded it in I now have 110,000 on my second Tundra . With the miles I drive if I can pick up a few MPG. It wouldnt take long to add up to serious cash.

I test drove a Ridgeline. Rides as nice as a car. I will probably only tow the boat 5 or 6 times a year.My guess on the boat weight is probably around 4,000lbs. My boat trailer has brakes. Im used to towing,I drive truck.

Thanks for all the replies. Keep em comming.

Stix, I'm towing my Islander 221 with a 2007 honda pilot, (virtually the same thing as the ridgeline), no problems. I really enjoy the ride of the pilot and I'm getting 24 to 25 mpg on the highway. I went with pilot after driving full size pick ups for years. I'm glad it bought the honda.

RR