New to the site,and new to the big lake.

Hey fellas, this is my first post on this site. Just wanted to introduce myself a lilttle and get some insight for my upcoming trip to the lake.  My name is Mike and im from the Scranton PA area.  Last fall i bought an older 25ft  Bayliner trophy hardtop with all intentions of making trips up north everyother weekend.  This weekend is gonna be my first trip for browns. I spent many hours this winter reading forums and watching videos so i feel i got a good idea how to hook up on a few browns.  Im as confident as a rookie can be.  Lol. My only issue is location. Im only familiar with port ontario and salmon river.  Been fishing the salmon run in the river since i was a kid.  So my plan is to launch from selkirk shores     Once in the lake i was thinking of heading west towards the power plant in search of warmer water and fish.  My main question is thou, is there a better public launch that i can easily launch my 25 ft boat in this area.  Or even is the area i plan on fishing no good for spring browns?   Thank you for any  imput in advance.   Mike

• Like 1

Hey mike welcome to site, think ive met you on lake wallenpaupack before, i also own a trophy anyways being from scranton myself closest place to launch for me has always been wrights landing in oswego or little sodus bay outside of fairhaven. Wrights landing costs a small fee but theres alot more parking, and if you plan on heading torwards the power plant your gonn be alot closer than launching from fair haven. Gl

There's also the Mexico Point state launch on the Little Salmon River. It's a nice launch once the dock is in and you pay ($7 last year, if I remember) if the machine is working.

The center dock wasn't in 3 weeks ago so you had to use the break-wall on either side but it may be in now.

Oswego is made for big boats though. Not too far down the road and you'll have no trouble there if you don't like the looks of Mexico.

Apperciate the info guys im gonna look into them launches cause its gonna be a pain with the bigger boat at selkirk. Rtrucking yea i believe we met last year on the pack ive been killing the perch there but trying something new and wanna get in on the brownie action up north.  Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Either of those launches will work great for your boat, I would not want to launch a 25 footer at Selkirk. 

Nice thing about Oswego is that if the lake is too rough you can always fish for brown's in the harbor this time of year.  Also has rest rooms and a nice cleaning station right there, if it's open this time of year.

Think im gonna go for mexico i have to stop at fat nancys at 5 when they open for a license and more gear and its not to far down the rd from selkirk.  Chowdaire can u give me a little insight into which direction i should st art fishing once i launch at mexico.   LIke i said im new to this spring brownie fishing. But from the sounds of things the direction really dont matter as u need to find a mud line or warmer water.  Whats ur thoughts?

Think im gonna go for mexico i have to stop at fat nancys at 5 when they open for a license and more gear and its not to far down the rd from selkirk.  Chowdaire can u give me a little insight into which direction i should st art fishing once i launch at mexico.   LIke i said im new to this spring brownie fishing. But from the sounds of things the direction really dont matter as u need to find a mud line or warmer water.  Whats ur thoughts?
Grab a fat Nancy spoon, or 3 !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, Hachimo said:

To be honest, I've caught fish going both directions. For me 2 years ago was better going South, last year it was better North. Like you said, you're looking for green, warm water.

3 weeks ago the water was 37 but we found an area of green water close to 41 deg. That's where the fish were. We had a blast and kept catching as long as we stayed in that water as it moved during the morning. 

Edited by Chowdaire
changed word

Mike.  I am from Wilkes Barre and spend a lot of time on the lake since my recent retirement.  The Pine Grove launch near Selkirk is not suited for your boat. As everyone has said, Mexico is better. I will be at my camp on Sandy Pond from Sat to Thursday and fishing from the Mexico ramp. Send me a pm if you need any info

Hey i want to thank all you guys for the excellent imfo and help.  Me and the wife had a great trip to the lake this past weekend.  We arrived in mexico around 6 am saturday after the 3 hr drive and getting our licenses.  By 7:15 had our first brown.  We went 4 out of 10 saturday.  Then anchored the boat and slept in the cuddy and got an early start sunday morning. We went 8 out of 10 sunday in 4hrs of fishing then packed up and drove back. I dont think we did to back for a first time fishing browns on the big lake.   Thanks again guys without your help i dont think we would of had as good of a trip as we had.  We will be heading back up in two or three weeks. 

• Like 1