Jigging for trout

On 4/19/2018 at 11:41 PM, 180ccf said:

I have tried this 4x now. Last year I watch a few YouTube videos of a guy off of Sodus jigging for lakers (I setup the same way). He did well. My problem, even with 1oz ocean jigs I can't get to the bottom with 8lb line. The current in the lake is moving fast. I drop the jig in 50 - 100 feet of water, only after I locate fish on the bottom, on the graph. Drop the jig and I watch it drop on the graph. At about 60 feet, it just takes off and never hits the bottom near your boat. If you don't let out enough line it will never touch the bottom. That makes it impossible to jig for them. The current catches the jig and it just moves horizontal. Does anyone have a fix for that.

If you are having trouble getting down, try big 2 oz hopkins-style spoons.  They'll get you down there.  1 oz is too light most of the time.  I run 1 1/2 oz roundheads.

On 4/29/2018 at 6:52 PM, Pete Collin said:

A couple of years ago I did a tutorial on lake trout jigging.  It was filmed on Lake Ontario but the technique is the same.   The only difference is that a fast crank works on the finger lakes, rarely does on LO.

Thanks for the video @Pete Collin. Never thought of trying flashers but might have to give that a shot this year to attract attention. It may have even inspired me to take a trip up to lake O and see what its like fighting a laker over 10lbs. Some great info in there for anyone new to Jigging. 

-Pete