Calling all fishermen

Lake Erie assessment puts walleye levels at 56 million. Any thoughts on catch and release should be squashed as bait levels in Erie is under pressure. Most of this huge class of fish were 14”-18” last year. These fish should be 16”-24”- perfect eating size. 

"Hey, didn't that inline planer board just jump back 3 inches? Must be at least a seven pounder...." -- true conversation.

You don't troll them for the epic battle, that's for sure.

I wonder if it would be reasonable to push for an 8 fish limit from say August to October if the numbers really get out of control.  There's certainly been days when even 8 wouldn't have been much of a challenge and considering the depths they came from, I'm sure the death toll is easily that if you're fishing to a 6 fish limit.

• Like 1

I think the walleye fishing is going to be awesome this year on erie.  all of those 12-15in dinks from last year should have put on a few inches and weight.  I could barely keep lines in the water last year.  But it was very annoying sifting through all the small fish.

I can only remember the statement my adult son made a few years ago while we were fishin' eyes on Erie...."Dad, let's go back to Ontario. Catchin' these walleyes is like pickin' tomatoes".

Chad,

Where did you see that number?

"Walleye estimates overall for 2018 are now slightly above the 41 million level for the western and central basins of the lake. These are the prime spawning areas that fisheries' managers concern themselves with most. That’s a lot of fried fish fillets. Some of you loyal readers might recall the 2017 number as being 56"