Salt water kicker

hookedupf7

Aside from possible issues relating to salt water use, age of motor and the care given the motor,. you may wish to check the length of the shaft as many of the sailboat motors are extra long shaft and depending on your boat and kicker setup (bracket or transom installation) the motor may reside too low and be actually riding in the water and "dragging" when you have it in the maximum upward position during non-trolling times. 

Edited by Sk8man

The 25 inch shaft IS the extra long shaft. The issue would  mainly depend on the range of adjustment in the bracket and how it is positioned on the transom.  A plus about a longer shaft is that it often will give better steering and not let the prop come out of the water with large waves like short shaft motors often do. On the downside they need to come out of the water when you choose to use the main motor at speed or they drag in the water with a rooster tail and perhaps the prop spinning aand none of that is good for the lower unit etc.

Yamaha has 3 shaft lengths- 15” short, 20” long and on some models an extra long or sailboat 25”.  You’ll have to make sure by measuring your transom mounting height and the lift stroke of your kicker bracket to sure you can clear the water line in the upper position.  Different kicker mounts depending on make and model have different lift specs.  With a 25” shaft you’ll likely need a bracket with a long lift stroke.  All the pieces need to “match” for everything to correctly work both up and down.

They are a good motor. Bought a 8 hp extra long shaft that I use on my drift boat. Bought off ebay and came from Alaska. Very easy to rinse after use in saltwater as it hooks right up to garden hose. Use regulary in saltwater crabbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United