Cut Bait

Has anyone every tried using whiting for cut bait? I was in Price right yesterday and the had 10 whole whiting for $9. Might try fileting and brining some and see how it works. Just wondered if any body has tried it.

0419181251.jpg

Edited by Charlie P
upload photo

• 2 weeks later...

I will tell you that fish from the grocery store is probably not that fresh and how nose what it has been washed. If  you want nice fresh bait for meat rigs all you have to do is cut  your bait strips out of any silver sided fish that you catch like salmon ,browns. steelhead if you want to freeze it and use latter you can put in kosher salt and a little borax and it will last much better after you take it out of freezer . I have been using king salmon skin the last 2 years works great .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I will tell you that fish from the grocery store is probably not that fresh and how nose what it has been washed. If  you want nice fresh bait for meat rigs all you have to do is cut  your bait strips out of any silver sided fish that you catch like salmon ,browns. steelhead if you want to freeze it and use latter you can put in kosher salt and a little borax and it will last much better after you take it out of freezer . I have been using king salmon skin the last 2 years works great .
I was thinking about doing this!

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app