Thoughts on turkey numbers in Northern NY

Just wondering what others were seeing for numbers this spring. Although I haven't been actively scouting due to the awful weather, my general observation is that the bird level is down significantly in my area( northern Jefferson county). Perhaps it is due to the wet summer we had last year or maybe this snowy March and April has them behaving unusually. Anyway, areas that have always had birds seem to have fewer this year. I will be doing more serious scouting this week with the nicer weather. Also, good luck to the youth hunters this weekend!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I recently drove from Syracuse to Delhi. Very nice ride through lots of farm country. I only saw 1 flock the whole way there and back. Locally I have not seen any. By now they are normally in certain places and those spots to are empty. I think its going to be a difficult season unless you happen to find some birds

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I scouted the farm I hunt and there was one gobbling on normal roost. I hung out and there were 4 hens, 2 jakes, and a Tom. Saw a single bird in another good spot. At least a few around to chase. I'll be setting a couple blinds very soon.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

In the greater Rochester suburbs, there are dozens of flocks roaming through the parks. This spring the flocks are usually about a dozen which is smaller than previous years..

I read an article that the turkey population is quite predictable from season to season. When rabies ravages the local predator population (coyote,fox and raccoon) the number of turkey eggs that survive is much higher than in normal years. A few years later,when the predators make a comeback they have a lot of food (turkey and eggs) which will raise the survival rate of their offspring, In turn, this forces the turkey population down because of increased predation.

7 hours ago, chucknmel said:

The turkey numbers are definitely down I think it may be due to the fishers and coyote populations getting out of control

My brother in law says the introduction of the fishers has driven the turkey population way down in our neck of the woods. I just talked to him yesterday and he was more than annoyed to say the least.

On 4/21/2018 at 7:34 AM, whaler1 said:

I read that numbers are down significantly and based on my scouting I would have to agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Agreed! And from what I have seen in the past few years from deer hunting the turkeys numbers are not very good around me. I would say 7-8 years ago I had huge numbers of birds around but that number has noticeably dropped off. 

Well, opening morning and after not seeing much while scouting I had a couple birds gobbling on the roost. Unfortunately after fly down they headed the other direction so I moved my blind for tomorrow morning hunt. Went back toward my car and set up and had two birds come in. They returned two more times and one had a very small beard and I let him walk. Also saw several deer and it was a beautiful morning to be out.

Mr. walleye got a tom this morning as did another friend of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

My brother in law says the introduction of the fishers has driven the turkey population way down in our neck of the woods. I just talked to him yesterday and he was more than annoyed to say the