Hudson River Spring striper update

Kaz

it was big schools going up the river so I think they should be  by Catskills also was trolling all day we got couple and Fishfinder was also showing up big ones a lot of them, tomorrow  we going to try drifting with bloodworms also  
Just watch out guy's for drifting wood a lot of them and big ones

Tight lines my friends[emoji106][emoji6][emoji476][emoji476][emoji476]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I’m figuring by 5/1 we should see temps worth fishing. 49-50 is what I like to see but as soon as it’s 47/48 I’ll start fishing this year. We’re easily 10-14 days behind the norm, and I’m sure spawn will happen roughly same time as usual. Going to be a shorter than usual and intense season I think.

just got back from 3 days fishing out of catskill,boated 4,lost 3,and had several good runs we never hooked up on.tried several different spots both up river and down river,temp.42 to 44 degrees on sunday.the water coming out of catskill creek was between 47 and 50 degrees,so we anchored up outside the creek in the warmer water and that's where we had all our bites.best time seemed to be right in the middle of both tides.couple runs on live herring,but all fish hooked up on was on chunks on the bottom.nothing hot and heavy,but the weather was great,other then today,was very windy.have not fished stripers in about 5 years,forgot how much fun it is to just anchor up,drop your baits and wait for the scream!!!!!!

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

• Like 1

Nice bunch of fish[emoji1303], we splashed our boat down in Marlboro on Monday, fished for 6 midday hours, had 7 hits and landed 5 schoolies ,too cold yet another week for sure, heading back mid week next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I imagine it will be good bu Wednesday.

I’ve never fished stripers before, but I’m in Kingston for the next weeks for work. I didn’t bring the boat this week but considering bringing it down the next two weeks. I’m staying off exit 19, any suggestions on where to launch. General tips.

For this one you have to pay $8 a day or 50 for the season the guy usually it's right by the boat ramp if you want to purchase, lots of parking
Good luck[emoji6][emoji106][emoji476][emoji476][emoji476]Screenshot_20180430-070225.thumb.jpg.12c1ee3a20cbc4071d307725741c404e.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This is where I launch. Worth the money since two can launch at a time and plenty of parking. Sleightsburg is cramped at best, but free. Both launches are treated like they’re fishing piers so you always have some interesting people that at times get in the way. Most are fine.
  • Like 1

Thanks, what would you recommend for us rookies. I was thinking about chunk bait or blood worms if I can find some. 

Blood worms are effective if you drift them through fish. Anchoring and bottom fishing them yields basically any species stealing your $1.25 worm. If you’re going to anchor fish live herring. Use a circle hook right through the nose, or use a tiny zip tie through the nose and put your hook through the zip tie. Clip the dorsal or tail fins of bait. I strictly troll as to avoid the catching/buying/keeping the bait alive issue. Rapala F18’s trolled 30’ behind the ball just above the fish is my game. Downriggers and lead core are effective. 20 lb mono main line, 4’ 20# flouro leader. Troll at 2.6-3.0 at the probe. Most importantly, let the 40”+ fish go even though they’re legal and keep the 18-28” legal fish (i keep 22-28”) for table fare. They eat better and it’s for the good of the fishery. Pics and measurements of the big ones, and if you want a mount go replica.

Blood worms are effective if you drift them through fish. Anchoring and bottom fishing them yields basically any species stealing your $1.25 worm. If you’re going to anchor fish live herring. Use a circle hook right through the nose, or use a tiny zip tie through the nose and put your hook through the zip tie. Clip the dorsal or tail fins of bait. I strictly troll as to avoid the catching/buying/keeping the bait alive issue. Rapala F18’s trolled 30’ behind the ball just above the fish is my game. Downriggers and lead core are effective. 20 lb mono main line, 4’ 20# flouro leader. Troll at 2.6-3.0 at the probe. Most importantly, let the 40”+ fish go even though they’re legal and keep the 18-28” legal fish (i keep 22-28”) for table fare. They eat better and it’s for the good of the fishery. Pics and measurements of the big ones, and if you want a mount go replica.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you very much for the information, I will be strictly catch, photo and release. I will hopefully upload some pics this weekend of our luck.

Edited by mike14837

We hope to get some striper fishing in this or next week.  Do any of you know of a good deal on lodging anywhere between Kingston and Newburgh?  Needs to have enough parking area for my boat.

thanks