Fished with ProfT and Mr Walleye out of Mexico Point. Ran west and found cold clear water (39 -40 degree) and no fish so ran back to Mexico launch where water had color and was 43 degrees but no fish. Ran to Selkirk and hit a 5.2 pounder on rigger in 10 fow. Water was muddy and 43-44 degrees. Stayed in that area and did't move a rod fishing from 7-18 fow. Trolled back toward the ramp with no success so moved out into 20 fow and hit an 8.2 pounder on a bay rat near the surface. Could not find any pattern so called it a day after putting in 6 hours. Others we talked to also had a slow day.

IMG_4640.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Since the demise of emerald shiner stocks, I am having to fish a deeper band of water in the spring. When emeralds were around every port,stream,creek and ditch flowing into the lake had emeralds running. I would put my otter boats in three FOW sometimes because that is where the food was. Now it’s gobies, perch, gizzard shad, alewives etc deeper off the bank. Just some observations. 

• Like 1

When we used to dip smelt at Russell Station, there were always a lot of emeralds with them early in the run.  The alewife would show up right around when the smelt were getting few and far between.   You could always tell the novice smelters because their buckets were half full of emeralds.

• Like 1

Hi Kevin. We were out Sunday with similar results. We hit some spots off the point near the Scriba launch and there were fish stacked in 20 fow. Sadly they had lock jaw so we passed after a handful of passes. The couple we did hit were in 8 fow in 42 degree water on bay rats off the boards.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United