Adding another battery

hookedupf7

Guys been working on my new boat rigging it. I see that it only has one battery in it . My plan is to put kicker with charge system on it . I am going to be running elec riggers graph marine radio, and fish hawk Xd. Should I add another battery to this setup and can I just wire it to other battery. The main motor is 115 etech.

You should definitely add another battery to have a back-up in case something drains the battery you are running on. Take a look at the BlueSea Add-A-Battery Kit. You can run your motor off one battery and electronics off another, and then have both available if you need to start the motor in an emergency. 

Dedicated deep cycle is the way to go. From what I understand kickers don't put out much amperage to keep one do all battery up to a full charge. Besides carrying 2 batteries I would also consider a pocket sized lithium booster pak. They work great and you can use it in your vehicle all off season. 

I was looking at them in bass pro. My thought was to hook riggers cb, xd and graph to one battery along with kicker. Biggest deep cycle battery I can get and charge it everytime before fishing. That way main battery for starting isn’t even in the equation. Buddy told me the new evinrude is real voltage sensitive. This way I am keeping away from that issue. Think it will work?

On mine it says to shut motors off before switching to off. Perco. Didn’t do that years ago when I was having battery issues. Rpm gauge stopped working found out it was a result of damage to the CDI unit. I learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I had the same issues as you.  one battery for everything.  When I hit the starter it would kill my sonar because of the draw. I installed a 2nd battery.  The first battery is now dedicated to main engine starting only. The Blue sea battery kit EKoselny mentioned comes with a charging relay that charges both batteries off your main motor....or an on board a/c charger...  The batteries are kept separate.  It comes with a 3 position switch that has to be manually selected.  Off ..on...and both.   In the case of your starting battery if for some reason it got low you can switch to both and then go back to normal on.  This switch also lets you shut everything off at the end of the day so you have nothing inadvertently drawing power.  The only thing I have that is connected directly to the 2nd battery is my bilge pump with a float switch.  System works great.   I also keep an extra battery stored onboard...just in case......

I am not familiar with the perco products..  On the blue sea system it is not the switch that allows both batteries to charge but the relay.  It senses charging voltage and directs it to both batteries while keeping both isolated from each other on draw voltage. Just guessing but If you have just a switch it would have to have both batteries selected to allow charging voltage to each battery.    this also would allow draw from both batteries defeating the purpose of having two separate batteries. 

first it’s a 29 series battery. Damn fumble fingers. My thought is the only time I’m going to charge both batteries is when big engine is running. When trolling I can isolate to one battery. Still have main battery isolated to start big motor. Big motor is high output evinrude. It has 50 watts just for charging so  that should charge both fine. I am kind of new at this so correct me please if I’m wrong!!!

The Perko switch on both will charge both batteries!! That's what I use. You can isolate your start battery from your electronics battery. If worse came to worse you can switch to both to fire up your main.

lifetime I have had enough battery issues to be done with it.  main motor has its own battery electronics have their own which is attached to the kicker and gets put on the charger/maintainer after each trip.  and i take a spare that is used for the electric motor on multispecies trip and nothing the rest of the time that one gets plugged into the maintainer at least once a month.  they are all marine grade listed as deep cycle but are in fact  "combo" maybe not perfect for there primary use but they are fully interchangeable if one dies the spare which is the newest gets plugged in and i get a new spare.  piece of mind is worth it in this case

There’s nothing like having a positive piece of mind, thinking my boat is as safe as it can be. Let’s you focus more on what’s going on with the lines in the water, not worrying if my electronics are going to puke or anything else that might make the day with your friends not such a pleasant experience!!! Congrats to your mission to have enough electric!!

10 hours ago, hookedupf7 said:

I am assuming that if lead from motor goes to one battery. Batteries are hooked together so charge should flow to both of them rite? 

your switch should come with instructions.  The only thing tying your batteries together will be the switch. and the both position will have to be selected to tie the two together. It would be a good idea to install a bus bar for a main junction point.  Also be sure your different applications have fuses.