Downrigger stacking, help

So I'd like to give it a try, and I've heard good reviews on a few different releases and methods. Help a rookie out and shed some light on the subject ! This will be on a straight king program and i don't intend on going offshore too often.

So far I like the idea behind the cannon release that has 3 tabs for your cable to go in,over and back in. That looks easy enough to me. Another concern is using the auto up on the riggers, should I be concerned about sending the clip in to ladyO if I'm not watching for it coming up and it hits the pulley ? Am I overthinking this whole thing ? TIA

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Chamberlain's stacker release is the way to go for stacking, IMO. They are easy to set in any position on you cable, and release when they hit your pulley. They are easily adjusted for heavy or light tension so you don't drag fish.

Edited by Tyee II
  • Like 1

Get a longline clip and put an offshore release on it or just buy the Scotty releases with the longline clips on them. Easiest way to stack rods. I stack rods every trip out and they have been flawless.

Total Chaos

Use sliders instead of stacking maximize the number of lures in the water and minimize rod use. Sliders usually catch more fish too.

Have used chamberlains and they are the best stacker I have found. Haven’t stacked in a while and likely never will again. Run cheaters “fixed or sliders” and you’ll likely catch more fish and it’s way less work and it frees up rods for dipseys or junk lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was able to pull up a nice instructional video on the chamberlains. They seem extremely newb friendly and I love that they pop when they hit the pulley. Will suck to have to pull up the whole rigger to get release but that would happen anyway even if I ran 1 line.

So, does it make more sense to stack and add a rod in the middle Vs doing 2 dipsys and a board per side ? I don't have high leads or copper though, so I'd have to put some sort of diver like torpedo or tadpole to get me deep enough. Im thinking at this point I'm better to stack then add boards

A cheater is a section of line “ I use 8-10ft clipped on your main between rod tip and release. You can use them as a slider just clip it on and it will go to the bow in the line between cannon ball and rod tip or you can use a fixed slider, half hitch a rubber band to your main line at your desired depth to get your spread between mainline lure and cheater. With both when a fish is in especially a king you will see a very violent hit and it will usually release just be quick because they’re a lot of slack. If I’m fishing down riggers I always have a cheater on it’s a free lure and is super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chamberlain's work great. Very simple.

Last year was my first with down riggers and even I had no problems.

But like other guys have said I pretty much stopped stacking because the sliders work so well. I had great luck with both a Mup rig and a free slider last year. 

• Like 1

I like the cheaters. when I fish its usually only 2 or 3 of us in the boat and I like as many lines in the water as I can get. a down rigger with a cheater is considered 1 line.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tyee II said:

Chamberlain's stacker release is the way to go for stacking, IMO. They are easy to set in any position on you cable, and release when they hit your pulley. They are easily adjusted for heavy or light tension so you don't drag fish.

X2 best I have ever used

3 hours ago, gasman2438 said:

I love my  Roamer Release I have run them over 30 years,

100% roamers as well both on the bottom and up the cable !

Ok, bare with me all, so if I'm running a cheater, I do my usual release off the ball, send it down to depth, then clip on a 8' or section of "cheater" one side/swivel on the main line other side has bait. Drop it down and it will find it's way to the bow in main line. Once I get one on the cheater, I'll be pulling up 2 baits and one fish. Doesn't that typically end in a mess of gear, with a fish on ?

When I fish deep I have been known to put the first line on the ball and then stack a roamer up the cable 15 feet so you have 2 rods on that Downrigger then put the slider on the top rod so you cover as an example 110  bottom 95 stacker and then about 45 with the slider Beware this can result is a tangled mess but you do hook up more. 

Remember that the lake has changed and it is harder to hook up with just down riggers and take a hard look at the Chinook divers made of Stainless they are the best I have found for deep and spread out well