Browns with the old man o4-23-18

Went to Oswego on monday for first trip of the year with my dad that is now 80 years old and really starting to slow down so i try to spend some quality time with him when i can . Lady O was good to us after a little work we were able to dial the browns in went 19 for 21 with all fish running 4 to 10 lbs  . Was a stick bite for sure with 12 to 18 feet being key and trying to tick bottom with mag lips , mutzu and storm jr thundersticks boards and 2 colors of lead . My new weighted steel outfit worked great with 90 feet of wire in prop wash and i will say it was much nicer then any copper that i have used . Most fish came out of bright green water and brown and dark green sticks were best it was a goby bight for sure with the browns full of them . The old man had a blast after a long boring winter and so did i with my dad .

• Like 3

Great report, and thank you for sharing about your dad!  I just returned to NYS after a long absence, and fish with my 80 yr old father every chance I get.  He really lights up when we get out and run the gear. Catching fish is secondary to the mission. But thanks to all the great tips on this site, we are bringing more fish to the boat.  Cheers! 

78C8AA57-3EEA-4274-802E-69284685F89F.jpeg

• Like 1

Congrats to both you guys!! I’d give anything to fish just one more time with him!!:wait: he taught me a lot the times we fished together. On thing he taught me was to fish way back from the boat. If he got stuck on the bottom or what ever I had to back up and back up and back some more. I said how in the hell much line do you have out?? Finally he has his favorite lure a Rapala perch lure with a diver lip on it. Sometimes when he hooked into a fish and it broke water you couldn’t tell what it was, it was so far back. Now look we try to get as far away with our lures from the boat as possible.. :lol: great pics. Guys I really appreciate your stories!! Keep dad fishing!! PAP.

• Like 1

MY LEAD CORE SET UP IS CORE TO 25 FEET TOP SHOT THEN LEADER 8 FOOT LEADER 15 FLORO I RUN THIS DOWN THE SHOOT I USE A STEARN PLANER AFTER LEAD IS OUT ATTACH TO BACKING AND LET WAY BACK . THEN I USE A WAIGHTED STEEL ROD SAME SET UP WITH TOP SHOT AND LEADER AND LET OUT 90 FEET OF WIRE AND FISH THE PROP WASH JUST OF BOTTOM . THE STEARN PLANER IS A TROLLING BOBBER MADE BY CHURCE TACKLE IT ALLOWS YOU TO PUT TWO FLAT LINES DOWN THE SHOOT . DEEP DIVING STICKS WERE USED ON BOARDS .

Thats for sure its funny how when i was a little kid i tested his patience and now he test mine but we always manage to have a great time and catch a lot of fish .I try to get him out there when i can its great to see him have a good time because i no  it wont last forever .

• Like 1

Thats for sure its funny how when i was a little kid i tested his patience and now he test mine but we always manage to have a great time and catch a lot of fish .I try to get him out there when i can its great to see him have a good time because i no  it wont last forever .
[emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My dad didn't fish with me, but he loved to cook the Keuka Lake lakers I would bring him.  He'd take the boneless fillets, lightly fry them in butter, cover with prosciutto, then deglaze the pan with a little sherry and cappers for a sauce on top. I miss him.