Solar panel charging battery

hookedupf7

I have not had any experience yet. But have the panels and have installed them.

I bought 100 watt kit from harbor freight was roughly 100$ for the panels charge controller wireing and few lights all in the kit. Has 2 amp and 6 amp charge modes along with maintain mode to not allow over charge. Really seems like the ticket to me. Wish I had more experience on it but this is first year and isn't even in the water yet.20180310_145801.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I gotta believe that would work. My whole house is solar powered. I am thinking one of the smaller setups because I’m running a 19 ft. Boat and don’t have that much room 
Another member with a ton of knowledge on the subject reached out to me (thanks Lewis) main concern is making sure to separate the main from the solar charging system when the main motor is charging otherwise the charge controller for the panels may fry. My plan eventually is to run an inline switch to separate the 2 systems and be able to kick on main battery charge when I am running a non charge kicker or docked. Seems like it should work just fine. Other than that it's just wattage used vs wattaged charged. Glad he was willing to help straighten my thoughts out and give me some pointers.

Excited to try it out will be nice to have external charging capabilities when needed.

I'm thinking about the 18 watt Coleman solar panel kit. It's just one amorphous solar panel with a charge controller. The lowest price I've seen is $76 at Wal Mart. The advantage to amorphous panels (like this one and the kit from harbor freight) is that they will charge the battery in most weather conditions. Other types of panels need clear skies and direct sunlight without cloud cover.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-18W-Solar-Kit/15063014

Edited by Todd in NY
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

I have not had any experience yet. But have the panels and have installed them.

I bought 100 watt kit from harbor freight was roughly 100$ for the panels charge controller wireing and few lights all in the kit. Has 2 amp and 6 amp charge modes along with maintain mode to not allow over charge. Really seems like the ticket to me. Wish I had more experience on it but this is first year and isn't even in the water yet.20180310_145801.jpg

For 100.00$ im going to have one of these systems. hell every trip I take to the big pond cost me 4 times that.

thanks for the info. Stoneam. :)

• Like 1

Not really. If i invested  in my more in th initial setup . I am completely off grid. I have generator wired in so when I get low in power I fire it up. The problem is summer time is  free. Winter time with short days I have to run propane generator quite a bit. If you figure it out costs about the same. But I’m 2 miles from neighbors and have 100 acres borders by state land. It was where I wanted to be

Not really. If i invested  in my more in th initial setup . I am completely off grid. I have generator wired in so when I get low in power I fire it up. The problem is summer time is  free. Winter time with short days I have to run propane generator quite a bit. If you figure it out costs about the same. But I’m 2 miles from neighbors and have 100 acres borders by state land. It was where I wanted to be
Sounds awesome