Summer Internships For Environmental Science?

Does anyone know of any available summer internships for environmental science students? My son is finishing his 2nd year at SUNY ESF (Environmental Science & Forestry) in Syracuse and has been applying for internships through the college since January, but he hasn't had any luck so far. He is majoring in Environmental Science. He lives off campus and rents a house just south of the campus.

Todd not sure where he wants his career to go whether in the manufacturing sector or within fisheries or wildlife. Many private large company’s are more and more looking for green talent to grow and develop. They have environmental practices for both air and water. Alcoa or someone like that. On the state sector DEC might have programs that he could tie into for hatchery work etc. like Altmar. Might be working on runways and stuff as summer is down time for them but it’s something. There’s also many consulting firms that perform testing and manage haz cleanup sites that might have internships as well. Hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

37 minutes ago, Frogger said:

Todd not sure where he wants his career to go whether in the manufacturing sector or within fisheries or wildlife. Many private large company’s are more and more looking for green talent to grow and develop. They have environmental practices for both air and water. Alcoa or someone like that. On the state sector DEC might have programs that he could tie into for hatchery work etc. like Altmar. Might be working on runways and stuff as summer is down time for them but it’s something. There’s also many consulting firms that perform testing and manage haz cleanup sites that might have internships as well. Hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the info! DEC web site had none available as of early April or late March (I don't remember when he checked). He's still talking to professors at the college, along with many other students.

11 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

If your son is interested in taking a course over the summer I run a 4 credit bio course via suny Broome where we travel to 8 national parks over 3 weeks. We leave June 6 let me know

Here is the course Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/ecologynationalparks/

Thanks for the info. He's planning to work over the summer and take a break from the classroom. He needs to save enough money to help pay his tuition this fall.

Just a heads up, the DEC doesn't post a lot of seasonal jobs on their actual website. Most are posted on the NY State jobs website statejobsny.com and they get posted throughout the year depending on when/where fish and wildlife techs/seasonal biologists are needed. Just something for him to keep in mind as he's looking for jobs in New York in the future. Also, keep on the lookout for civil service examinations. Most permanant jobs with the DEC tend to require a specific test, though not all.  Best of luck to him in his search. 

Corey

8 hours ago, Corey said:

Just a heads up, the DEC doesn't post a lot of seasonal jobs on their actual website. Most are posted on the NY State jobs website statejobsny.com and they get posted throughout the year depending on when/where fish and wildlife techs/seasonal biologists are needed. Just something for him to keep in mind as he's looking for jobs in New York in the future. Also, keep on the lookout for civil service examinations. Most permanant jobs with the DEC tend to require a specific test, though not all.  Best of luck to him in his search. 

Corey

Thanks for the info Corey, will pass it on to my son.

21 hours ago, Todd in NY said:

Thanks Lucky13! We've seen these folks at Cranberry Lake.

You list Carthage as home, if there is a site they are doing nearby, he likely has a better chance

Edited by Lucky13

When I was in college, I had to get home the day after classes ended so I could start work the following Monday, and I stopped working on the Friday before classes started, the good old days LOL!  But there may be something going at NYS launches around Mexico Bay or on Oneida, although it might be run by someone else like CNY Regional Planning or TNC (who did some of the knotweed work on the Salmon River) around Syracuse.

17 minutes ago, Lucky13 said:

When I was in college, I had to get home the day after classes ended so I could start work the following Monday, and I stopped working on the Friday before classes started, the good old days LOL!  But there may be something going at NYS launches around Mexico Bay or on Oneida, although it might be run by someone else like CNY Regional Planning or TNC (who did some of the knotweed work on the Salmon River) around Syracuse.

walk uphill both ways too?