Coast Guard Boarded My Boat Yesterday

And it never left my driveway. I just wanted to pass along to other LOU members that the USCG or USCGAUX will come to your house or marina and do a free courtesy and OFFICIAL safety inspection on your boat.

I simply requested a safety inspection on their web site on Wednesday morning and by Thursday night a vessel inspector contacted me to set up an appointment. They have up to 3 days to contact you, and your request to forwarded to 5 inspectors that live closest to your boat location.

Bob arrived at my house before 10am yesterday, conducted the inspection, and awarded me a 2018 USCG vessel safety check sticker. Bob was friendly, professional, in uniform, and we had a great conversation about boating and fishing. He is a volunteer, so I made sure he knew how much I appreciated his time and the job he does. He owns his own older boat, a Carver over 35ft, so he understands how much effort it can be to maintain a boat. Bob was a very nice guy and it was a pleasure to meet him.

IMG_20180427_164005.thumb.jpg.920cc5b52d0ba9438476401755370c26.jpg

• Like 1

Charter/guide boats receive different inspections and decals.  USCG does federal and NYS does the inland guide PV (public vessel) inspection.  Both are annual and NYS charges a small fee.  Some small differences in the requirements for each as well-another detail and expense to deal with.

16 hours ago, Todd in NY said:

Apprently they won't board your boat if you already have a current-year sticker displayed. It's always better to get the inspection at YOUR convenience rather than while your trying to fish.

Don't rely on that sticker to avoid a boarding. They will ask you for the copy of the inspection when you get boarded. If there are any violations noted they will check to see if they were corrected and go from there.

Either way, it won't be a big deal. I keep a book onboard with my copy of the inspection form, registration, insurance card, etc. I didn't have any violations during the inspection. I haven't seen our USCG board any boats around here anyway. Not saying it doesn't happen, just never saw it happen.

Edited by Todd in NY

It happens. Boarded me last year while we were trolling. Kept the AP on while one two guys boarded actually caught a fish during inspection. Nice guys. All was in check. I really like the idea though of having the inspection record ready in hand

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just to add, after reading this post I went on line and I have a appointment to have my boat inspected in my driveway on Wednesday afternoon. Thank you for the info!!!!

8 minutes ago, tyell1 said:

Just to add, after reading this post I went on line and I have a appointment to have my boat inspected in my driveway on Wednesday afternoon. Thank you for the info!!!!

Very cool! I think it's a great program, and super convenient.

• Like 1

Went online they ask where your at and someone gets in touch with you. I live in Wilkes Barre Pa . I was notified within a day and was scheduled at my convienance.

8 hours ago, amerinah said:

Sorry if i missed this - What is the link or how do you determine the local contact info for the inspection?

Couple quick google searches sent me everywhere but Lake O....

Thanks.

Try this link to request the Vessel Safety Check

http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=V-DEPT&category=i-want-a-vsc

Edited by Todd in NY

On 4/28/2018 at 7:05 PM, Todd in NY said:

Apprently they won't board your boat if you already have a current-year sticker displayed. It's always better to get the inspection at YOUR convenience rather than while your trying to fish.

I don't mind when I'm fishing, The driver last year was top notch and in 2' seas got up next to me with 9 lines out and no need to pull any. CG got on board and I left the helm and he about freaked. He said I needed to stay there and steer, told him my auto pilot would take care of that. He looked at me puzzled then showed him and we talked about that for about 10 minutes until he signalled to get picked up. Good guys and never had any issues he did say to check the date on my flares but he never looked at them. I told him where everything was and he didn't bother looking.

• Like 1