Otter boat problems

Has anybody had problems getting their Otter Boats to track further back behind their boat.  Whenever I use my set up the Otter Boats seem to be at almost a 90 degree angle to the boat, I can't the releases to slide down more than 25 feet (about half way).   I emailed the factory and they said to try to move the loop in the tow line a half inch to the front, I'm using 125 pound mono on my mast.  Well I tried that yesterday and it made no difference, I tried moving the loop a couple times and just got frustrated and switched out to Inline boards.  I'm not sure if I should buy a second set of keels, go to Dacron on the tow line, or just get ski style boards. 

Thanks Seabass73

I hope I can explain this correctly. What I do is grab several feet of the towline and drop it in the water so the release on the towline is underwater.Then drop the several feet of towline In my hand in the water.The release should pop up further out.

Your problem is the angle of the board. If you shorten the front rope coming from the otter boat relative to the rear rope , you will change the angle of the otter boat relative to your boat. That will result in less resistance . the boards will not pull as hard and they will go farther back.

We had issues getting our releases to slide on heavy mono line that came with my planer reels. ( Traxtech) Changed out the towline to #200 braid and problem solved. I prefer the Otters to run out to the side as compared to lagging back. 

9 hours ago, Seabass73 said:

Has anybody had problems getting their Otter Boats to track further back behind their boat.  Whenever I use my set up the Otter Boats seem to be at almost a 90 degree angle to the boat, I can't the releases to slide down more than 25 feet (about half way).   I emailed the factory and they said to try to move the loop in the tow line a half inch to the front, I'm using 125 pound mono on my mast.  Well I tried that yesterday and it made no difference, I tried moving the loop a couple times and just got frustrated and switched out to Inline boards.  I'm not sure if I should buy a second set of keels, go to Dacron on the tow line, or just get ski style boards. 

Thanks Seabass73

If your Otter boats are tracking that well then that is a good thing!

Whats releases are you using? 

You may want to raise your mast height to create a better downward angle to help the releases slide down better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Legacy said:

If your Otter boats are tracking that well then that is a good thing!

Whats releases are you using? 

You may want to raise your mast height to create a better downward angle to help the releases slide down better.

The mast is about 7 feet above the deck, I was thinking about moving to the tip of the bow and I would gain another foot.  My releases are OR and Scotty mini's they both have the same style of shower curtain ring that slides on the tow line.  I'm heading back to Lake Ontario this Friday and Saturday, I lost a couple of fish yesterday on the outside Inline boards trying to get the lines out of the way.

5ae63eda0d159_04291817511.thumb.jpg.91e4465724904986980365f92b453de7.jpg

.5ae63ad900ba1_04281807361.thumb.jpg.d58eebe1956960eb8ca30667b7e44686.jpg

One thing you can do to gently pursued releases to slide down the line is to gently turn away from the board - that will accelerate the outside board and help releases to slide down - also helps to generate bites....also can bounce the tow line a little to help a release move down it if it is stubborn....

Swich you tow line to 200# power pro. Switch out those curtain rings to small carabiners with a large swivel attached to release. Your boards are tracking where they should be. Higher mast is always a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You know I listen to a lot of guy complain about their boards not pulling out to the sides hard enough. I don't think they realize that if the boards pull out at 90 degrees there lines are only going to go half way down to the board. the goal is not to get your boards out at 90 degrees. you want them as close to 45 or 50 degrees so your lines run down to the planers.

if there at 70 to 90 they are pulling way to hard, your lines will only go half way out and cause a bow in the line and stop.  ( its kinda like running a cheater on a rigger, it will only go half way down). just my thoughts.

3 hours ago, Fishnut said:

You know I listen to a lot of guy complain about their boards not pulling out to the sides hard enough. I don't think they realize that if the boards pull out at 90 degrees there lines are only going to go half way down to the board. the goal is not to get your boards out at 90 degrees. you want them as close to 45 or 50 degrees so your lines run down to the planers.

if there at 70 to 90 they are pulling way to hard, your lines will only go half way out and cause a bow in the line and stop.  ( its kinda like running a cheater on a rigger, it will only go half way down). just my thoughts.

That is exactly what is happening, my plan is to replace the mono with 200lb power pro, reset the lengths of the strings on the otter boats to the factory spec. Then going to try the tips and tricks that were mentioned above.

And once again thanks for all the advice. 

20 hours ago, Seabass73 said:

That is exactly what is happening, my plan is to replace the mono with 200lb power pro, reset the lengths of the strings on the otter boats to the factory spec. Then going to try the tips and tricks that were mentioned above.

And once again thanks for all the advice. 

I see this a lot with guys new to big boards. its usually easy to fix you just have to adjust your connection point on your planer.

I use a heavy dog clip instead of a light shower curtain ring to aid in the slide. My boards are out to the side (almost 90 degrees) with double 1/2 keels additions that make a taught line. 

Ditto!  The answer is not to get the boards  to fall back.... having them as close to 90 as possible is ideal!!  The factory settings are junk imo...Yankee troller had a post a few years back and his numbers  work great for me!  I run custom double keels and they pull hard which is what you want.

Edited by justtracytrolling
Accidentally sent my post before it was done
  • Like 1

The best solution is to buy a bunch of clipper releases and sleeve them and add a nut/bolt to add weight.  You need a heavier release.  These work best if you use the same backing or line on all your rods as you have to adjust the release for the diameter of the line.  I have the same issue as you using the scottys with the shower curtain ring.  I let a rod out on one side then do one on the other and do turns.  They will move out a few feet at a time with the slack.  I also pull a few feet of planer line in and then let it snap back out (by hand).  It's a PIA.  Ultimately replacing your tow lines with power pro and using the clippers is the best way to go.  I only do a handful of trips for browns.  And might run one copper off each side the rest of the year.  So I haven't upgraded my tow line or releases.  But have been on boats that did and it's night/day difference.