Transducer location on transom

I have a Lowrance HDs 12 Gen 2. I've been running it for a couple of years and was unaware of any problems I had a gentleman on the boat he said you need to adjust that transducer. So question number one when I start the motor and stay under 7 miles an hour it reads okay. Anything above that transducer is not reading. I have adjusted it several times and just can't get it any better. Question 2 does the leaves from the fish finder connect to a separate battery. Is there a filter I can put in between. Any help would be great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You should be able to read bottom at any speed.  My lowrance will read bottom at 50 MPH when set up correctly.  The linked article has a bunch of information that can help you.  Without looking at your transducer placement it is impossible to tell what is wrong with yours.  http://www.sternmate.com/Where.html

• Like 2

You need to make sure it is below the bottom of the boat slightly, I can read depths at any MPH. Mine has the flip up mechanism that if I hit something on the bottom of the boat it will flip up out of the way so it isn't ripped off the boat. I have had it release a couple times in rough water when the boat skips waves. Usually when it releases I will get some wacky readings like 1000' of water and lots of "noise".

You may wish to carefully consult the installation directions for that particular transducer as they can be slightly different for them as well as for the particular hull design of your boat. Often the hull curvature at the bottom of the transom throws people off as they are looking at the bottom of the boat rather than the ground itself and then orient the transducer facing somewhat outward rather than straight downward and when they get up on plane the cone angle is pitched outward and not down so they lose the bottom. The face of the transducer usually needs to be ever so slightly angled either inward or outward toward the back according to the degrees mentioned in the installation directions.and placed as far as possible away from any turbulence factors (e.g. ridges or flow areas etc. in the hull).

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I think I would try putting where the red arrow is in the pic at the extreme left side of the mounting plate because your hull will be rising up when on plane and that may keep the transducer face toward bottom  more.

transducer1.jpg

Well i will give that a try tomorrow . Thanks for taking the time to help.My other problem is that screen gets all cluttered when i come up to speed. Could all be related?

• Like 1

Make sure  that it does not align with the main rows of rivets coming from front to back of boat.  I line mine up with a ruler to bottom of the boat.  The leading edge should be about 1/4 inch below the bottom of the boat.  and the angle should be ever so slightly ascending from front to back.  I can read up to 40 plus mph on transducers for both the Furuno and Lowrance.

• Like 1

Make sure  that it does not align with the main rows of rivets coming from front to back of boat.  I line mine up with a ruler to bottom of the boat.  The leading edge should be about 1/4 inch below the bottom of the boat.  and the angle should be ever so slightly ascending from front to back.  I can read up to 40 plus mph on transducers for both the Furuno and Lowrance.
These are all great things I will try them see what I come up with and I will let you guys know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...