Wicked Tuna Connection- Guess who I got to hang out with...

On the way back from visiting close friends in Freeport Maine my wife thoughtfully gave me an early birthday present of staying in Gloucester, Mass for a couple days so after stopping at the Kittery Trading Post (a must do for ANY fisherman) and stocking up we arrived in Gloucester. I won't bore folks with all the details but our new found friend Tina G. actually personally knows the stars of the show Wicked Tuna which is my favorite TV show and I know many folks on LOU follow it as well...and sometimes fishes with Dave Marciano, captain of Hard Merchandiise. Tina asked if I wanted to meet him and of course I said (SURE). We met with Dave and his wife Nancy (whose birthday it was yesterday) at a tackle shop where Tina works and I had a great opportunity to ask him about a wide range of things. He is for real folks....exactly what he appears to be on the show and more...as in our later people contacts I got some background info and stories from other Gloucester folks on Dave and they adore the guy and I might add the Gloucester folks are some of the most approachable friendly people you'll meet . The folks where he does charters said he is the fastest and best fish cleaner in Gloucester.  I had always wanted to thank him on behalf of my fellow veterans for all he does with them and did so and it was very rewarding having the opportunity in person. Dave was in the middle of moving the Hard Merchandise from the dock at Rocky Neck to its new location in front of the Gloucester House restaurant that day  so he was pretty busy later and my wife and I joined Tina and Daves wife Nancy and another lady for lunch at the restaurant for much of the afternoon. Tina is one of the most knowledgable fisherpersons I have ever encountered and she filled me in on many questions I had regarding the things left out of the show such as bait rigging etc and she graciously filled me in on everything I asked and had a bunch of stories as well. She personally knows the other participants in the Wicked Tuna show and gave me a lot of scoop on them as well. Dave told me some things about the show that I can share but one major development that I promised I wouldn't say anything about right now and I will honor that. I can say that the show has been renewed recently for the next four seasons, Dave's nephew Jason (Jay) is back from Alaska and will be fishing with them again, and despite the characterization of Dot Com's Dave Carraro he is actually a real nice guy according to Tina and was "selected" to be the "bad guy" on the show. Anyway, I had a blast and it was an incredible birthday present from my wonderful wife. Thanks a bunch Tina if you happen to see this....:)

daveles1x.jpg

hmerch1.jpg

hdmerch2.jpg

davejoejay.jpg

hardmerchboat.jpg

hardmerchpic.jpg

Kimghouse.jpg

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!! That is the ultimate birthday gift!!! I don’t miss that show, if the wife and kid have something else on I move to my man cave and watch it there so I don’t miss a episode!!! I always feel for Dave seems he’s always the underdog!! LOL, I think he relates to us LOU guys because he doesn’t have a brand new everything, silver spoon. He struggles with mechanical issues ect. That was definitely a epic moment for you Les, thanks for sharing!! I hope his nephew comes back that man adds a ton of excitement to the Hard Merchandise, I SEE COLOR!!!! Great post Les!!!

Great birthday present indeed!
This Saturday I am fishing with Captain Kevin Twombly who is another wicked tuna captain. That will be my fifth time on Stellwagon bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Good luck Cornelis. Stellwagen is really great and Jeffreys Ledge and Tillies Bank are others that are relatively close to there too. Its all good.:)