Wicked Tuna Connection- Guess who I got to hang out with...

Awesome Les. I was there a few years ago and went out with one of the boats not on the show. Just down the dock was the Dot Com. I walked Down to say hi and was taken back with the crews attitude. They really seemed bothered I wanted to say Hi. I’m glad your experience was more welcoming!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Geez Jeff that is unfortunate... may have been a "bad day" or something? The Dot Com and Wicked Pissah dock at the other side of the harbor on the west side at the marina there but they weren't anywhere aruond when we were sightseeing there. We did see the Bounty Hunter parked there and later someone we talked with said he still charters and fishes but got out of the show....

bountyhunter.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

:lol: Good one Stan.....that 856 lb one in the pic got him over $15,000 I think:)

Thanks for the positive comments etc. folks.

Edited by Sk8man

John - I didn'r think to ask that one... a good question but I think they do troll for them in North Carolina when they fish during the winter season. They basically skip the lures or bait across and near the surface behind "birds" which are kinda like our version of planer boards and troll quite fast compared with our "world" :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Something that bears mentioning lest we forget fishing in the ocean is a VERY dangerous undertaking. Gloucester has lost more than its share of fishermen over the centuries and is the oldest fishing seaport in the US. It was brought home extremely to the point when visiting the memorial to those fishermen that lost their lives over the nearly 400 years of the seaports existence . Nearly 4,000 fishermen lost their lives between the mid 1800's and the early 1900's with a total of 5,368 until 2011 according to the plaques with their names at the site. Very touching.

statue1.jpg

statue2.jpg

memorial1.jpg

tribute.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Good Stuff!  When I bought my boat on the Cape, my surveyor was also a local fishing capt  Mostly Tuna.  He had some great stories about the fleet and how the show came about.  Said most of the guys are down to earth folk.  He filled me in on what is real and what is not.  That whole price for the fish at the dock hasn't been real in 20 years.  Strictly for Drama.  They don't know how much they made per fish for a few weeks and it hasn't been 20 dollars a pound in recent memory.  He also told me some of the capts that quit the show got tired of reeling in concrete blocks for production B roll... LOL   Either way it is entertaining like any other made for tv drama.  And they do a great job at portraying Harbor Drama!!!  Almost scary how well it matches other fishing communities!!

It is interesting  about the  pricing etc. I know there are basically two different main markets: the Japanese and American. The Japanese market is a huge auction setting where the prices are mainly influenced by fish color and shape whereas the American market is heavily influenced by fat content of the fish. On the show they describe both factors in the tail sample and core sample, but depending on each of those things the fish go to different markets. Another thing is that the actual treatment of the fish is VERY important after catching because the fish can build up huge amounts of lactic acid during the fight which can dramatically influence the quality of the meat and color etc. so they have to allow the fish to "cool down" in the water for awhile before icing it and transporting it to the buyer for evaluation.

Edited by Sk8man

Les,

For your readers, one of the reasons they drag the fish by its tail after catching, is to kill it, there is no way they could bring a live Tuna aboard. 

I caught a 550 lb. shark off Cape Cod one summer and the Capt. did the same thing.

Fished with Dave on the .com last year for bottom fish with some guys from work. Him and Sandro were really good guys and Dave actually showed a lot of interest and asked a lot of questions about how we fish. His boat is seriously impressive, the day we went out it was 10-12 footers and he parked it into the wind and the boat soaked almost everything up. I didn’t ask them too much about the show because i figured he was sick of those questions but he did say they get much less per pound but catch usually around 90-100 fish a year. IMG_0422.JPGIMG_0426.JPGIMG_0525.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Cool Pelthunter - We stayed about 200 yds from that drawbridge  near the memorial and each morning I watched the various types of boats go out and some made my 18 footer look like a little dingy:lol:. There are some beauties in that marina where Dot Com and Wicked Pissah keep their boats.:yes: