2018 walleye s

Kevin J Legg

Only 2 days till I'll be fishing in Bay of Quinte with Mr Walleye and friends for the weekend walleye opener. Then on Monday will be fishing below Cardinal Ontario on the SLR for a couple days. After that will likely be hitting Sackets and Chaumont. All this while trying to locate a turkey which thus far has eluded me. Wish May was a longer month as I'll also be hitting Cape Cod for sea bass and stripers, crappie and bullhead fishing , and fly fishing the St Regis. So many choices but fortunately I'm retired!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin J Legg said:

Only 2 days till I'll be fishing in Bay of Quinte with Mr Walleye and friends for the weekend walleye opener. Then on Monday will be fishing below Cardinal Ontario on the SLR for a couple days. After that will likely be hitting Sackets and Chaumont. All this while trying to locate a turkey which thus far has eluded me. Wish May was a longer month as I'll also be hitting Cape Cod for sea bass and stripers, crappie and bullhead fishing , and fly fishing the St Regis. So many choices but fortunately I'm retired!

Sounds like you have a busy schedule, and sounds like a lot of great fishing. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Kevin J Legg said:

Like my dad always said after he retired, "I have no idea how I ever found time to work".

• Like 1

I feel your pain reeleyz, there will be lots of walleye seasons but the kids are only little once, I used to bellyache around also, but now my girls are teenagers and I wonder where the time went. Having them involved in sports is a good thing, you won’t regret it one bit, it doesn’t give them time to get into the crap that’s out there. My girls play softball and field hockey, plus they have to interact with others, not like my little nephew, if he isn’t sitting in front of the idiots box playing video game he isn’t happy. Nuff said I don’t want to hyjak the thread.

I had a great day today. This morning I shot a turkey and a coyote came in and grabbed it and try to steal it. This afternoon I fished a local lake and caught a nice limit of crappies. Great start for May.

I taught school for 33 years and at times coached 3 varsity sports. My kids also each played 3 sports so I understand family issues. Looking back I wonder how I fit in as much hunting and fishing as I did. Now it's hunt or fish 4-5 days a week interrupted by frequent visits to NJ to visit my kids and grandkids. I'm truly blessed!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Doing the same thing Kevin. 40 yrs in classroom for me though.  I read that sea bass stocks are up and the season was extended. Still a 5 fish limit though.  It opens the 19th. I might be there in early June..

• Like 1

Must be something with the teaching industry, my wife is a teacher going on 35 years now most were in the special education area, just recently went back to regular Ed. She also has her special Ed. supervisor Cert. which did for one year but realized she wasn’t ready to give up the kids. There’s a special place for all those folks that took up this profession!! I just sit there and shake my head. All I can say is God bless you folks and you will be gifted later in life. Kevin is a prime example of being gifted, I would love to have his lifestyle!!!! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, pap said:

I feel your pain reeleyz, there will be lots of walleye seasons but the kids are only little once, I used to bellyache around also, but now my girls are teenagers and I wonder where the time went. Having them involved in sports is a good thing, you won’t regret it one bit, it doesn’t give them time to get into the crap that’s out there. My girls play softball and field hockey, plus they have to interact with others, not like my little nephew, if he isn’t sitting in front of the idiots box playing video game he isn’t happy. Nuff said I don’t want to hyjak the thread.

Oh don't worry, those walleyes get plenty of attention from me through the season. I am starting to master the art of squeezing in quick trips when they matter! :rofl:

And I also get to pass on the addiction to my boys.

Life is good!

Congrats on the turkey and crappie Kevin.

Edited by reeleyz

22 hours ago, Kevin J Legg said:

I had a great day today. This morning I shot a turkey and a coyote came in and grabbed it and try to steal it. This afternoon I fished a local lake and caught a nice limit of crappies. Great start for May.

I taught school for 33 years and at times coached 3 varsity sports. My kids also each played 3 sports so I understand family issues. Looking back I wonder how I fit in as much hunting and fishing as I did. Now it's hunt or fish 4-5 days a week interrupted by frequent visits to NJ to visit my kids and grandkids. I'm truly blessed!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

As are those who are fortunate to call you a friend

Fished BOQ with Mr walleyes and the boys and caught about 20 total on Saturday after the big blow but did better on Sunday with everyone limiting out early. Moved to The SLR on Monday and Tuesday and caught 3 on Monday in North wind and 7 on Tuesday morning. Fun weekend with great friends. Got home after filleting fish and pick some asparagus. I love May!IMG_4680.JPGIMG_4685.JPGIMG_4683.JPG

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wishinfishin said:

I love May to . Walleye and asparagus from my garden. Cheers .20180509_185255.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Are those the big butter beans?? I haven’t had those since my dad passed. Ten years ago mmm good!! Great post Kevin!!

Yes , butter beans. And while I was cooking up breaded walleye ,and my wife was cooking the sides ( I don't like butter beans)
I was smoking some walleye.
In the picture is the empty plate that had the butter beans and walleye.
While I was chowing down I could watch the smoker billowing with smoke licking the brined precious fillets to a golden brown ,finish off with a brush ofmaple syrup just before they were done. And here they are.20180509_191314.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Now that’s what I call “Fine Dining” you can’t put a price tag on such things!! Other than those who never tried it, don’t know what their missing!!!

• 2 weeks later...

With turkey tags filled and some walleyes, Browns and panfish in the freezer we made our annual trip to my brothers in Cape Cod. Although there seemed to be less big sea bass than last year there was no shortage of fish. Caught some nice ones up to 20" and a couple nice tautog as well.IMG_4721.JPG