Wanted Classified Ettiquette & 9 to 15HP Kicker wanted

I am new to this hobby and hate to sound like a whiny **** but....  I posted a wanted add for a kicker motor and received two responses.  I thought had a deal arranged to buy a motor from the first responder.  We spoke on the phone and made tentative arrangements contingent upon him getting me a few pictures and a model/year of the motor. As discussed on a 10 minute phone call I was told to expect pictures that Friday night in order to make an assessment and take the trip on Saturday to buy the motor.  What I got was pictures late in the day on Saturday when it was too late. When i contacted him on Monday to arrange another time to get the motor I was notified it was sold.  Now I look on here and see the add for the motor posted on Saturday and the motor being sold on Sunday. 

There was a also second responder who never bothered to return my calls.

I have two questions:

1. Do I need to set my expectations lower?

2. Does anyone have a solid yr 2000+ 9 to 15 HP kicker motor for sale?

I am a straight shooter, have money and wont waste your time.  If you want to do business get ahold of me. If you are going to "jerk" me around...please don't.

RB

I have bought and sold hundreds of high ticket items as a result of internet leads.  I vet them all prior to transaction.  i did on this one as well.  This has nothing to do with the internet...

Edited by RCBROWN316

I have been buying/selling things on internet forums for atleast the last 10yrs... 97% of the time it's great, nice people, easy transactions... but the other 3% of the time it's what you experienced. I just had an issue here recently where we had a deal made and I was waiting for the guy to send me his paypal info so I could pay him. He never responded back to my calls/texts/emails. Sounds like you got the bad ones out of the way early, hopefully the rest will be painless for you! FWIW I just bought a brand new Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke with hose/tank for $1750 delivered, I beleive the 9.8 4strokes were like $200 more.

• Like 2

Where do you order that from?  I am looking at new also.  9.9 merc at west marine for 2300 (or more).  They are local and have a reward program that will net me 110.00 or so.  there is some value to that but the tohatsus seem to be a better value motor with the injection and lower price.  ask whoever you bought it from if they will give you a referal reward for sending me their way and we will see if we can make it work.

btw the guy i bought the boat from Justin Hafner was a delight to deal with.  made it super easy and was very informative.  brought the boat to irondequoit gave us a sea trial and delivered it to my house when we were done.  he even invited us out for a trolling lesson on his new rig.  great guy.

RB

• Like 1

Tohatsu and Merc under 30 horsepower I believe are the exact same motor you're paying more for the decals and black color as the Tohatsu is slightly purple. I bought a 9.8 Tohatsu electric start tiller 25" brand new from online Outboards shipped to my door for right around 2 Grand. A comparable Merc was almost $1,000 more

• Like 1

Just an FYI as far as the Tohatsu vs. Merc. They are similar in that they are both manufactured by the same company but they are not identical when you look at the specs. I have the Tohatsu 9.8 (2016) and it is constructed a bit lighter than the Merc 9.9 of similar model weight-wise too which is one reasons I bought it as I didn't want to over power my bracket. I am very satisfied with the Tohatsu though and I bought it from Outboardsonline.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2

guys thanks for the advice.  i found a local tohatsu servicing dealer right here in my home town and will likely buy the new 9.9 with efi within the next week.

RB

Do the Tohatsu's come with a battery charging circuit?  I have a 1980's Johnson 8hp Sailmaster 25" shaft that I really like as my kicker, except that its a 2-stroke.  I would like to upgrade to 4 stroke so I can use 1 gas tank, less smoke, etc.  But I like having the charging circuit that the Sailmaster provides to keep my battery topped off..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1lastweekend said:

Do the Tohatsu's come with a battery charging circuit?  I have a 1980's Johnson 8hp Sailmaster 25" shaft that I really like as my kicker, except that its a 2-stroke.  I would like to upgrade to 4 stroke so I can use 1 gas tank, less smoke, etc.  But I like having the charging circuit that the Sailmaster provides to keep my battery topped off..

The dealer is looking into this right now.  i will let you know.  We took the cowl off the one on display and found a connector hanging in there so we are just making sure what needs to be done.  this is a 2018 9.9 unit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lundbarron77 said:

Year old Honda 10 hp with electric on Rochester cls for 1500 or offer

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Cant find it either in boats or boat parts.  that would have caught my eye.

Yes and it's a higher amperage than many of their competitors which was another reason I went tohatsu. Only on certain models though. I don't think the rope starts have charging capability

On my 2016 9.8 electric start manual trim model anyways. On a related note, I love my itroll throttle controller. the charging has saved my butt a couple times while anchored up for extended periods of time with the fish finder on lights etcetera and the starting battery ran down too much to start the main I just fired up the kicker and let it run in neutral for 5 minutes and it's charges the battery up enough to start the main

Edited by FishnChef

45 minutes ago, RCBROWN316 said:

The dealer is looking into this right now.  i will let you know.  We took the cowl off the one on display and found a connector hanging in there so we are just making sure what needs to be done.  this is a 2018 9.9 unit.

pull start does not have charging capability and it cannot be added cost effectively so i am now back up above 2500.00 for a new tohatsu vs 1500 for a few others I have found.  that honda sounds intriguing but i can find it

10 minutes ago, FishnChef said:

On my 2016 9.8 electric start manual trim model anyways. On a related note, I love my itroll throttle controller. the charging has saved my butt a couple times while anchored up for extended periods of time with the fish finder on lights etcetera and the starting battery ran down too much to start the main I just fired up the kicker and let it run in neutral for 5 minutes and it's charges the battery up enough to start the main

this is exactly why i want the charging

7 minutes ago, FishnChef said:

Yeah I knew that prolly had one with charging built in. I got a bare bones 8hp but that's all I needed really, manual start is fine and I have 2 main starting batteries with a switch. Not to mention 2 trolling motor batteries I could swap if need be. I would have to try really hard to drain all 4 batteries to the point I can't start my boat. I also have an aux solar trickle charger I use when trolling for extended periods of time just to be safe.

Edited by FishingFool34
  • Like 2

Yes the 2016 I have like FishnChef and like that pictured above from outlineoutboards  has the 6 amp alternator that charges the battery. It needs to be run fairly fast to do much charging  by the way not just trolling along slowly for the max. charge rate. Sweet motor and has higher thrust than my 9.9 Johnson 2 stroke had and a little less speed at top end.

Edited by Sk8man

i have an 8 hp tohatsu with electric start .run very quiet and charges batteries fine i ck the status of how many volts often when i first got it . at 13.5 to 14 volts at lake trout speed 1 .2 to 1.8 

On 5/4/2018 at 5:57 PM, fisherdude said:

i have an 8 hp tohatsu with electric start .run very quiet and charges batteries fine i ck the status of how many volts often when i first got it . at 13.5 to 14 volts at lake trout speed 1 .2 to 1.8 

Is that a long shaft?