10 Meter resto

Just figured I’d throw up a couple pics and story of the restoration of my 10 Meter Trojan. I bought the boat at the end of last summer in need of a port engine. Since then I have stripped bottom to gel coat and redid it in black, degreased sanded and painted the engine room, port side and center, the stbd engine was in the boat when i bought it and i was going to just get a long block for that side until i found two used crusader long blocks and had them rebuilt(machine work, I’m assembling them myself) when the stbd motor comes out this weekend I’ll paint that side, and redid the battery box. The upholstery is at the shop being redone right now. Upgraded the electronics with furuno units I got out of a Tiara demo boat to keep cost down and went through and scrubbed all areas of the bilge. I thought I would have a lot more done at this point but this lack of spring has me way behind. I have quite a bit of work to do getting the new motors in but hope to splash in time for the canal opening so I can get it to Oswego ASAP. IMG_0054.JPG20915592_1605959476102631_7628004200714936760_n.jpgIMG_0826.JPGIMG_0856.JPGIMG_0828.JPGIMG_0114.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i just checked out your thread on the hull truth.looking good.yes this spring has been terrible. i bought a bunch of new stuff for my boat and i just got started installing it all this week. good luck. hope everything goes smooth so you can get that baby in the water

Thanks guys, it’s getting there still a lot of work to do getting the motors set and running but it’ll all be worth it when kings start coming over the back

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Today I took my hatches to the basement to recore the one that was soft and the other depending on how much of a pain in the balls that one was. I was working hard to get a little of what there was left of solid balsa off the top skin of fiberglass. My uncle who does finish work came down and saw what I was doing and ran up to his truck and got me one of those oscillating dremel cutting tool deals. I put the wide half moon looking blade on there and it works perfectly. Wide enough to keep from cutting into the skin and cuts under the core material perfectly to get it off the glass.

If anyone needs to recore deck hatches I HIGHLY recommend investing in one of these tools. What it took me an hour to get done with a wide chisel scraper I got done in 5 minutes with this tool.

Pics show how bad this one hatch is weighed probably 50lbs more than the other one of the same size. Image1525663484.581185.jpgImage1525663495.475913.jpg

Wow, you are speaking a whole different language with all that fiberglass repair work. I wouldn't know where to start, let alone what to do or how to do it. Keep plugging away, it's gonna look like new when you're finished!

Wow, you are speaking a whole different language with all that fiberglass repair work. I wouldn't know where to start, let alone what to do or how to do it. Keep plugging away, it's gonna look like new when you're finished!

I’m not even 100% sure of what I’m doing. I’m kind of a YouTube and fake it till I make it kinda guy. Figure it’s better to trial and error and figure it out while I’m young so I’ll know what I’m doing down the road if I have to do it again.

6 hours ago, PeltHunter said:

I’m not even 100% sure of what I’m doing. I’m kind of a YouTube and fake it till I make it kinda guy. Figure it’s better to trial and error and figure it out while I’m young so I’ll know what I’m doing down the road if I have to do it again.

I'm a firm believer in what I call "YouTube University". I'm grateful to all the people who post the good how-to videos for guys like me :lol:

I'm a firm believer in what I call "YouTube University". I'm grateful to all the people who post the good how-to videos for guys like me [emoji38]
Heck yea I don't know how my dad was a do it yourselfer before the internet. .well I do and it involved books but still so much nicer to pull up video step by step visual instructions. Spoiled now adays

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Heck yea I don't know how my dad was a do it yourselfer before the internet. .well I do and it involved books but still so much nicer to pull up video step by step visual instructions. Spoiled now adays

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I remember the pre-internet days :yes:

Edited by Todd in NY
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got all stripes removed, most thru hull drains out (plastic and one was cracked, going bronze), motors are almost ready to go in and 2/3 of the boat is buffed (won’t wax until new stripes are on), just got my new deck hatch coring so I’ll start that tonight and I have Thursday-Monday off so hopefully in the water by Tuesday. Almost forgot I picked up the new interior yesterday and it looks 1000 times better. Finally all coming together.IMG_1469.JPGIMG_1470.JPGIMG_1471.JPG

• Like 2

Finished the hatch last night. The Baltek coring was easy to work with and the West system expoxy was pretty fool proof if you read the instructions. Picture is from this morning after i took the weight that was holding the coring down off it. Seems like it got a good bond and is very solid. I filled any voids around the edges and between pieces with thickened epoxy and it seemed to fill the voids well now that it’s dry.IMG_1474.JPG