Fillet Knife?

I have had some terrible luck with fillet knife's, possibly because I have been to cheap thus far to pay for a good one. Seems like the handle always comes off or the blade breaks, ect...

I'm ready to spend whatever it takes to get a decent knife. Looking for recommendations. 

I'd like a knife I can trust for 5+ years ideally. 

-Pete 

Edited by PCPete

I really like Dexter-russell sani-safe for small-medium sized fillet knives (walleye, browns, perch, etc) , and bubba blade 12" for kings.  I've been on the same knives for the last few years and they havent let me down.  

Victorinox 10"

I also have a 7" Dexter sani-safe

I have also heard the Update International Professional 10" Cimeter isn't bad (but it is a German Steel blade made in China).

• Like 2

If you are handy with a knife (meaning can handle a stiffer blade comfortably) and can use a stone to keep an edge, pick up a couple Dexter Russell 8" Wide Boning Knife 2150 1378 with the wood handles and call it a career.  They run about $25 each or so.

It's a staple of the northeast ground fishery (cod, haddock, pollock) since I was a kid working on a fishing boat in the summers and still used now.  My son uses the same model when he worked a few summers on the party boats recently.  Simple design, sharpens to a razor since it's a high-carbon steel blade, you can sharpen repeatedly over the years and does EVERYTHING you want it to do with the right person using it.  Filet, skin, chop, steak a fish...

Since it's a carbon-steel blade, if you use in saltwater, take care to wash the blade thoroughly and put a wipe of veg/olive oil along the blade.  Just wipe it prior to next use.  Also helps to oil the handle since it's wood and prevents cracking.  Pick up two for around $50 and you won't need to worry again.  I say two in the event you lose one :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cutco fisherman's solution.  Holds a great edge, adjsutable blade, great handleeasy to sharpen, lifetime warratny.

https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=fishermans-solution#sm.00001lafmf1m10fp8yar6dak40uh3

Full disclosure - I am slightly biased because I grew up in Olean, NY where they are made, but they are truly really good knives.

• Like 1

They are also VERY expensive. We paid over $1,000 for a regular set because our friend's kid was selling them and was in college and we wanted to help him out. They are good knives but the pricing is VERY inflated for what you get. The serrated edged ones have to be sent back to the factory tobe sharpened although I don't think this is true for the fillet knife. I think they make a 5 7/8 and a 7 7/8 inch as I recall.

Edited by Sk8man

Buying American isn't cheap. I agree they are  quite spendy.  I have called in the lifetime guarantee on a few my outdoor knives and they have been awesome about it even though I abused the knife.  My home maker set has been awesome, but again sopmewhat pricey.  Back in the 70's and 80's you could go to the factory store and get a factory seconds (blems and such)  for pennies on the dollar, which is why me and all of my friends ran around with ka-bar marine corp knifes when camping as teenagers.  Unfortunately they no longer sell seconds as they want nothing but perfection going out the door.

• Like 1

I have the cutco knife it works wonderfully it was a gift it seems pricy but if it lasts a lifetime is it really that much? I have a stepson in cullinariy school if you compare cutco to other high-end knifes they are really not that expensive. We also had one in a previous work setting that we abused the heck out of when we broke a tooth it got replaced even after we told them what we used it for

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I never did get the Cutco fillet knife so maybe it is time to re-evaluate getting one myself  if it passed Scott's test :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Many people have watched me fillet and I'm definitely not perfect, but they mention how it just glides through the side of the fish as I start from the Gill. It's truly effortless. I see guys use some knives that claim to be good and it's embarrassing the difference between the two.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a couple filet knives from JA Henkels, victorinox, a Gerber, a couple different bubba blades,  and my buddy Wayne in the campground has a cutco I've used.  All are great, but the handle on the bubba blades are second to none.  And yeah I have a problem.... 

Edited by justtracytrolling
Misspelling
  • Like 1

No they all get used regularly...lol!  I don't really use steak knives or kitchen knives.  I prefer a boning or small filet knives to eat dinner.  The big no slip handles on the bubba blades are a bit much for the dinner table  though!  I do filet a ton of fish, though every once in a while a customer takes the fish home whole to show their kids.

I use a plain old heavy duty butcher knife to cut thru the bones (bigger walleye, occasion pike or lake trout) than the longer Rapala fillet knife to finish the job. These simple cheaper knifes have but many fish in the pan or oven. The bigger money goes into rods, reels, baits, etc. Much to the dismay of my wife.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, twring23 said:

Cutco fisherman's solution.  Holds a great edge, adjsutable blade, great handleeasy to sharpen, lifetime warratny.

https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=fishermans-solution#sm.00001lafmf1m10fp8yar6dak40uh3

Full disclosure - I am slightly biased because I grew up in Olean, NY where they are made, but they are truly really good knives.

Buy a cutco fishermens knife off of ebay that is dull.  Send it back and they will send you a brand new one.  I got one off of Ebay for $20.00. 

Buy a cutco fishermens knife off of ebay that is dull.  Send it back and they will send you a brand new one.  I got one off of Ebay for $20.00. 
Lmao Brian I live in Hinsdale work in Olean i was born here but parents moved to canandaigua for my childhood. Parents grew up in portville graduated mid 80s.

Kabar and cutco knives are awesome have a few case as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...
If you are handy with a knife (meaning can handle a stiffer blade comfortably) and can use a stone to keep an edge, pick up a couple Dexter Russell 8" Wide Boning Knife 2150 1378 with the wood handles and call it a career.  They run about $25 each or so.

It's a staple of the northeast ground fishery (cod, haddock, pollock) since I was a kid working on a fishing boat in the summers and still used now.  My son uses the same model when he worked a few summers on the party boats recently.  Simple design, sharpens to a razor since it's a high-carbon steel blade, you can sharpen repeatedly over the years and does EVERYTHING you want it to do with the right person using it.  Filet, skin, chop, steak a fish...

Since it's a carbon-steel blade, if you use in saltwater, take care to wash the blade thoroughly and put a wipe of veg/olive oil along the blade.  Just wipe it prior to next use.  Also helps to oil the handle since it's wood and prevents cracking.  Pick up two for around $50 and you won't need to worry again.  I say two in the event you lose one [emoji4]

Just got a dexter 1378, nice knife. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app