Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FishLikeaGirl74

Cayuga Boat vs Shore fishing etiquette

Recommended Posts

Ok- this is going to be a little bit of a rant. I had an incident while out shore fishing today. Had a slip bobber rig out. There was a nice drift and the wind at my back, so my bobber was a good ways out. Farther than I can cast personally, but not out of a good cast range. 

So there I am enjoying myself, when some idjit comes  speeding by super close to shore, runs over my line, and BOOM- no more rig for me. I know they were aware that they ran it over because they kept looking back at me as the booked it to the marina. My first impulse was to run to my truck, catch them pulling their boat out at the marina and deliver a super cuss out. But then I reminded myself that Karma is a bigger b**ch than I'll ever be.

Anyways- this is not the first time that something like this has either happened to me, or I've witnessed it. If you're in a boat, move out of shore casting range. You have the entire lake for crying out loud! Its not like anyone can steer the fricking dock! Ive done my share of boat fishing too- and I know that sometimes the best fishing is heading toward shore. However, I can share the fun and either go slow enough to be sure Im not messing up the mood of those fishing from shore, or heading out to the spots they cant access from there. The people trolling or pulling those planer boad thingies so they're passing only about 50 feet from you are the worst. I've been tempted several times to buy some of that steel line used in deep sea fishing, throwing a super heavy weight on it, and casting it out so its right next to whatever fishing setup I have. Go on and run that over- see how it turns ourt. But again- what I said about Karma...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the boat trolling boards next to shore i would say didn't even notices you till he was all ready on top of your line leaving no time to react to make a move to a void your line way out of the dock or shore in this case you seen him coming before he seen you think you could have pull in your line then put it back out after passing . for a boat speeding close to shore i can see you being piss off . not sure off the feet from shore a boat has to be to speed to be legal thinking 500 feet. some boaters are unruly and unsafe . i think i would have still pulled in the line to a void losing it and made sure he knew he was number 1 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had couple guys soaked my partner and I when fishing last weekend... Thought the canal was only 5mph... They come flying down full speed... Almost washed my gear in... I yelled at both guys... Could of slowed way down before the bridge and not had huge wake...

Seems crack heads have taken over the spot now with illegal dumping of TV's since you get in trouble fro scraping them... Soon they'll shut down the spot I am talking about... I thought about going down and cleaning it up but didn't need the trouble that comes with turning in old TV plastic cases... SMH...

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FishLikeaGirl74 said:

Ok- this is going to be a little bit of a rant. I had an incident while out shore fishing today. Had a slip bobber rig out. There was a nice drift and the wind at my back, so my bobber was a good ways out. Farther than I can cast personally, but not out of a good cast range. 

So there I am enjoying myself, when some idjit comes  speeding by super close to shore, runs over my line, and BOOM- no more rig for me. I know they were aware that they ran it over because they kept looking back at me as the booked it to the marina. My first impulse was to run to my truck, catch them pulling their boat out at the marina and deliver a super cuss out. But then I reminded myself that Karma is a bigger b**ch than I'll ever be.

Anyways- this is not the first time that something like this has either happened to me, or I've witnessed it. If you're in a boat, move out of shore casting range. You have the entire lake for crying out loud! Its not like anyone can steer the fricking dock! Ive done my share of boat fishing too- and I know that sometimes the best fishing is heading toward shore. However, I can share the fun and either go slow enough to be sure Im not messing up the mood of those fishing from shore, or heading out to the spots they cant access from there. The people trolling or pulling those planer boad thingies so they're passing only about 50 feet from you are the worst. I've been tempted several times to buy some of that steel line used in deep sea fishing, throwing a super heavy weight on it, and casting it out so its right next to whatever fishing setup I have. Go on and run that over- see how it turns ourt. But again- what I said about Karma...

They definitely saw me. I was not hidden in any way. They moved in even closer to shore before I could pull my rig in.  Im fairly new to fishing- but Im not a complete idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess in the end we have to adjust to the fact that there are some inconsiderate people out there both in the water and on shore as well and unfortunately it is a part of the current culture and manners are becoming in real short supply. It happens stream fishing, lake fishing and just boating in general and not much wecan do other than not to be on the "offending" end of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cyn and I give the shorebound people the right of way as much as possible.The only exception would be if we were boxed in by other boats and couldn't move out...Zeke and Cyn. Strike 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i always try to give extra space to shore guys i remember when i didnt have a boat and access is limted so i try to be nice and give extra room.   the exception is when they are fishing in the channel of a bay or something and there is just no other option in that case usually everybody knows the score

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's like the "shore fisherman" fishing in the marina that says no fishing. Get dirty looks when they need to move their lines..

People have all types of issues these days. Just brush em off. And move on. Be the better person and let karma get em.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sk8man said:

I guess in the end we have to adjust to the fact that there are some inconsiderate people out there both in the water and on shore as well and unfortunately it is a part of the current culture and manners are becoming in real short supply. It happens stream fishing, lake fishing and just boating in general and not much wecan do other than not to be on the "offending" end of it.

True. You are absolutely right on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lakebound88 said:

Yeah, that's like the "shore fisherman" fishing in the marina that says no fishing. Get dirty looks when they need to move their lines..

People have all types of issues these days. Just brush em off. And move on. Be the better person and let karma get em.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 

Yep. I dont ever try to go out of my way to ruin someone else's fun- life's too short to dwell on the jerks. A good rant and I let it go ( until the next time :D)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lakebound88 said:

Yeah, that's like the "shore fisherman" fishing in the marina that says no fishing. Get dirty looks when they need to move their lines..

People have all types of issues these days. Just brush em off. And move on. Be the better person and let karma get em.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 

That's definitely not me. I would feel like a complete jackoff if I was fisbing where I shouldnt be, and messed someone's equipment up...not worth it when there's plenty of fishable water elsewhere!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ifishy said:

i always try to give extra space to shore guys i remember when i didnt have a boat and access is limted so i try to be nice and give extra room.   the exception is when they are fishing in the channel of a bay or something and there is just no other option in that case usually everybody knows the score

I have to say- the vast majority of fellow fish folk that I have encountered are pretty awesome. A few bad applea are not gonna run me away from my favorite pastime. Thanks to everyone for letting me rant, and chiming in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better then he Richard Head I had on the bay once... I'm fishing from a dock... bass fishing... And this guy on his boat, using hi TROLLING MOTOR! Comes in right where I'm fishing perpendicular to me. For Christ sakes! When I'm on my boat I try to give at minimum 50 yards... Do what the guys in the ocean do... 80 lb braid with five ounces and just rip it across there lines (DONT THROW WEIGHTS AT PEOPLE)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I had 2 brand new rods pulled into the water, lost forever by a couple guys in a boat that came within feet of the shorline i was fishing.. there are a LOT of  very inconsiderate asswipes out there, sorry you ran into one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happens all the time...my advice is to be prepared to reel up....and have braid handy.  After the boat passes cast behind the boat and get you some new lures.  That's what the shore guys do here on Otisco.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No end of inconsiderate - unintelligent boaters. My pet peeves like your post they get to close. Speed-recreational boaters do it but so do some fisherman. 50 yards distance minimum is good. However if they moving at high speed and I see them coming I often reel-in.

My biggest issue is at the launch when some inconsiderate-dummy parks his boat while 1/2 dozen or more are waiting to launch-load and then he leaves it there for an indefinite period of time. I time things so as to give me a 1/2 hr. of wiggle room. Often watch my kids when they get off the buss. This makes for a mad rush which can ruin the day. I go to unwind as well as catch fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×