Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhlyanPan

What flares?

My flares are now expired, wondering what everyone recommends ?  Is it worth getting the electronic signal or should i wait a couple of years for the price to come down as more hit the market?

Edited by PhlyanPan

I just get flares at the Walmart, they are fine. I think the electronic stuff needs to mature.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I just get flares at the Walmart, they are fine. I think the electronic stuff needs to mature.

I got my electronic Flare for $69. In three years when you are buying flares again! Not me. Flares are $30-35 every three yrs.
Do the Math, ! Even I'm MATURE enough to figure that. Lol.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The sheriff's Marine patrol checked me at Olcott. My flares are expired, I carry them anyways because in an emergency, if they work, who cares. But, I have a small electronic strobe light that says coast guard approved. They accepted this but they were not sure if it meets the requirements.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

20 minutes ago, garrymny said:

The sheriff's Marine patrol checked me at Olcott. My flares are expired, I carry them anyways because in an emergency, if they work, who cares. But, I have a small electronic strobe light that says coast guard approved. They accepted this but they were not sure if it meets the requirements.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

what a bunch of dopes

Take an old flare and try it in the beach. You may find you are unable to twist the cap off . They are a Danger to your safety.

I got rid of a bunch of old ones on the fourth. I watered down a section of the lawn and taped tent spikes to them and put them in the ground and lit them with the strikers. A couple the strikers didn't work so I used one of the flares to set them off. Not great to have them just sittiing around and you can't just toss them in the trash without getting rid of the igniting stuff. When you buy the flares look closely at the expiration date. Sometimes these places put ones that only have 2 years left on them out and they are good 3 years from the date of manufacture so you can get screwed out of some time on them if not careful.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1