Twisted up newbie issues

So I’m new to Salmon, also fairly new to riggers though I have used them for Walleye a few times on others boats.

Here’s problem I ran into today, horrible knotted up extreme line twist on mainline from the downrigger release (blacks) to the spin doctor.

On the termination end of my main line I was only using a snap (no swivel) thinking the swivel on the spindoctor would be adequate (a friends suggested I use a swivel and snap at the termination end) OR was I dropping the ball too fast (manual cranks) causing a tangle on the way down and the nasty twist was the result, anyone else ever run into a similar issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

a good welded ring ball bearing swivel is a must in this type of fishing.  you can get away with snaps when using sticks up high but once you get into any kind of flasher fly you need a ball bearing.  there are several good brands but expect to pay up to a couple bucks per swivel.. I use mostly SPRO with a costlock snap but that is because i like that snap and that is the brand I can typically find around me.  I have had good luck with Sampos as well.  

• Like 1

So It sounds like I need a good quality swivel at the termination end, I assume this would be needed for a standard flasher as well or only with the spin doctors?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just now, Jason717 said:

So It sounds like I need a good quality swivel at the termination end, I assume this would be needed for a standard flasher as well or only with the spin doctors?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Pay the money for good swivels for ANYTHING that rotates.   Trust me, cheap out and some day you will loose a fish you will regret forever.

i tie to the swivel that comes with the spin doctor . when i want to change spin doc just remove from old and on to new . in my mind why have two ball bearing swivel back to back .

Edited by fisherdude

I would check the ball-bearing swivel to make sure it's spinning smoothly. I would check the ball-bearing swivel at the downrigger ball to make sure that spinning smoothly and not doing weird stuff Not sure if you are using an old line or new I usually run 30 lb mono to fight the fleas. I have tried flea-flicker and that stuff was terrible in my book I had a lot of line Twist from that line I junk it and went 30 lb mono.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Another thing I have had happen and had it happen a few times with one spin doctor is the ball bearing swivel that comes on them can sometimes get tangled. It's not even really tangled but the ball bearing part gets caught down on the side of the loop it's hooked to the snap on. And it makes it pull ball bearing up against the snap at a funny angle and it can't spin free. I think what happens is when you toss it in and there's slack it can get cocked like that and some snaps are worse. I had on that did it a few times I tossed that swivel and just started swapped on from another one ant it stopped.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It could be a function of the swivel hanging up somehow with the spinny rotating fast and your trolling speed may have been too fast for that combination.

All my rods have a heavy duty ball bearing swivel on them. I attach it to the spin doctor's swivel, the paddle's swivel, a spoon, a dipsy diver, whatever I am connecting to regardless of whether or not that item has it's own swivel. Never have any twist at all.

I have had NASTY twists when a big weenie spinner catches onto another adjacent line/ HUGE mess.