Uncles hunting camp

Xxx

I was up in Ny State this weekend to try and fix a problem that my uncles camper had, the transformer/12V charger failed last year, so they had to run a generator all night to power a battery charger so the furnace would operate all night, lord only knows you need heat where they are, along the Oswegotchi river on the paper mill property off river road, I found the problem it was inside the transformer, I had 3 other units and none had this resister that had to be no more than 3.2 volts resistance, that was bad, I found a RV dealer up near Tupper Lake, so off I go he said he had them, got there and it was the right part so back I go stick this part in. Fired up the generator and instantly heard the unit click and start humming!!! AAHH mission complete. My uncle says great now we are going over to the hunting camp for supper, so off we go , and to a gate we came he had the key Butch held the gate till both trucks got through, we drove for a 1/2hr to 45 mins. Through the woods through water holes as deep as the bottom of the doors, up hills without a 4x4 would have been impossible to climb totally awesome miles and miles of nothing but sheer no mans land we stopped and got out to be told that this spot is where the Ny State record buck was shot. Then continued on till we were litterly on top of this mountain. There was a lake up there I think the guys said it was called Moose Lake and the club stocks it with brookies, we are at the camp where I think I know these guys one little boy had a Palmerton Blue Bombers football sweatshirt on, that’s the School District my wife teaches, No Way way the hell back here??? Come to find out indirectly I knew every guy there!! They had steak chicken broccoli, snow peas fried potatoes, and a lot of everything, all cooked over a open fire. That was a epic moment for me!! Sat around the campfire while the guys told deer hunting stories, very cool evening, it was going on 10:00pm we needed to get off this mountain and my uncle and his buddy had to get back to their camp along the Oswegotchi River and I needed to make the treck back to Dexter as I needed to be headed south by 4am Sunday morn, and it’s a 1.5hrs to Dexter from the other camp that Dave & Butch have. Was a very cool weekend for sure!!! Now I understand why so many of you guys have such a great relationship with the outdoors and big bucks!! I would be willing to say that some of those deer never saw a human before!! PAP.

• Like 1

I hunt in a similar spot. I won’t say the deer never saw a human but I’d bet they could count them on one hand. Lol. We hunt bear there and have killed 18 black bears in 8 Years.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That’s great Fishnut, I’m going to see if if I could get mt but into this camp, it’s like pulling teeth, you almost have to wait till someone leaves the club or someone has passed to a better place!! I’m hoping I might have a little more of an edge than most guys being I know the camp president!!! Seems pretty cool. Thanks for the comments!! PAP.

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up hunting a 5 mile by 3 mile block of woods but have always dreamed of the   Adirondack experience. The idea of tracking mature bucks in the snow and not have worry if the track wanders onto a neighbor’s property pumps my nads. 

• Haha 1

I surely get where your coming from Gill, some of those swamps-bogs I couldn’t even imagine crawling through to track a deer, plus they are so huge you’d never find the track on the opposite side, so through the thick will be your only choice. One other thing is you better have paid attention in Boy Scouts on how to read a compass, gps are useless as there is no service out there. I don’t think I’d venture to far off the road if I were to hunt up there!! The minute I saw that moose lake and all those low cut berry bushes, I think I’d take my trusty 300 H&H and do a little scouting it looked like Rt81 for a deer trail, I’d be hard pressed to leave that area!! Thanks for the comments, I wish I would have taken more pics. but was to busy navigating my new pick up through the woods, the Z71 4X4 got a workout that traction control worked super both climbing hills and coming down those hills. One of the best times I had without a boat under my ass!!