Summer Lake Trout Trip

Looking for possible locations to make a long weekend (likely 4 days) trip for Lakers this Summer. The time frame I’m looking at is mid July - mid August. We’d be coming from Pittsburgh, PA and trailering our boat from Erie, PA, so the far eastern end of the lake is probably a bit too far (unless the fishing is significantly better than other ports). Last year we made a 12 hour drive and did a few days of charters on Lake Superior, but this year I’d like to save money and go for a semi-local trip fishing out of our boat (maybe a guide/charter for one day to learn the water if needed). We’ll mainly be trolling but this year I’d finally like to get a Laker (or several) vertical jigging, and so wherever it’d be easier to do so, I’ll be partial towards.

So far, these are some of the ports I’ve come up with as possibilities:

-Sandy Creek

-Oak Orchard

-Sodus Point

-Dunkirk (Lake Erie) 

-Barcelona (Lake Erie)

-Seneca Lake

-Cayuga Lake

-Open to other suggestions!

I’ve fished the Dunkirk/Barcelona area on Erie several times, but cold water availability in the Summer is a concern if I’m making a 4 day trip. I also considered the finger lakes as options since they seem like a great place for jigging even though the fish are generally smaller.

Thanks in advance!

-Sean

lake Ontario in mid July, August  kings is the most chase fish . if i was making a trip to the finger lakes . i would stay away from Seneca lake . Cayuga lake the lakers are plentiful . 

Edited by fisherdude

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. As of now I’m leaning towards either Sandy Creek or Dunkirk/Barcelona. Anyone have experience with transient slips in any of these ports? We need shore power to charge our trolling motor and a nice gas pump + bathroom facility would be appreciated.

The Rochester basin has the best summer concentration of lakers on Lake Ontario IMO.  You can fish from Devils Nose in Hamlin all the way to Webster Park and find lakers all the way through without skipping a beat. I took a 34lb 6 oz Laker in 2012 East Of Sandy Creek and Captain Bruce took a 35lb laker in the same area a couple season ago.  Late August big lakers start to pile up around the shoals From Sandy Creek to Braddock Point and the Flats East of Irondequoit Bay.  These two areas would be my choice in August.  If you are coming to the Sandy area, I can give you reports!  If you go to Oak Orchard, you will have to run 11+ miles East before you find lakers.  Sandy creek is limited for marina space but you could always go to Bald Eagle and run East to find lakers.  It is 6 miles closer to laker water than Oak Orchard. 

P.S.  If you are in the area but not fishing out of Sandy, you could always hitch a ride with me and I can show you the areas I fish out of Sandy. 

Edited by GAMBLER
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

The Rochester basin has the best summer concentration of lakers on Lake Ontario IMO.  You can fish from Devils Nose in Hamlin all the way to Webster Park and find lakers all the way through without skipping a beat. I took a 34lb 6 oz Laker in 2012 East Of Sandy Creek and Captain Bruce took a 35lb laker in the same area a couple season ago.  Late August big lakers start to pile up around the shoals From Sandy Creek to Braddock Point and the Flats East of Irondequoit Bay.  These two areas would be my choice in August.  If you are coming to the Sandy area, I can give you reports!  If you go to Oak Orchard, you will have to run 11+ miles East before you find lakers.  Sandy creek is limited for marina space but you could always go to Bald Eagle and run East to find lakers.  It is 6 miles closer to laker water than Oak Orchard. 

P.S.  If you are in the area but not fishing out of Sandy, you could always hitch a ride with me and I can show you the areas I fish put of Sandy. 

That is one heck of a nice offer Brian just gave you.   You couldn't have a better laker guy offering you advice and guidance!

1 hour ago, GAMBLER said:

P.S.  If you are in the area but not fishing out of Sandy, you could always hitch a ride with me and I can show you the areas I fish out of Sandy. 

Thanks for all the advice, and the offer! I’d be glad to take you up on that sometime this year if we do get up to Lake Ontario in July or August, and I’d gladly fill your tank up if you took us out! If we make it to the area and are fishing out of our boat for a few days, it’d be nice to go out with someone who knows the water by heart for a few hours to start things off.