Dunkirk walleye opener

John Kelley

Howdy fellas, my name is John Kelley and I hail from South Dakota.  I have been working an and off in upstate NY since 2012, but have been focusing most of my free time concentrating on Lake Ontario, since I can always catch as many walleyes as I want when I am home.  I decided to go fishing with my good friend Ed Ball and our good mutual friend Dennis Walter on Saturday, though, and check out the spring shallow water night bite on Lake Erie.  We had a pretty good go of it, and returned to the truck at midnight to offload our Saturday limit of 18 nice male walleyes.  We then headed back out to our waypoint after 1:00 a.m., and caught our sunday limit of 18 nice, male walleyes by 5:00 a.m.  We were fishing west of Dunkirk. Water was very murky and colored. All our fish were between 19-26" long, and no females in the group.  All the fish were milting, or still had milt in them, so the spawn looks like it is right about in the middle.  The big females ought to be hungry pretty soon, I am thinking.  The lake was like glass all night, so it was awesome for boat control.  Not a bad first outing for me on Lake Erie, but all I had to do was set lines and reel and net fish all night.  Captain Ed drove us right over all the hungry fish!!  I am not at liberty to say what the magic lure, depth, or waypoint was, because it was not my boat, and I don't want to betray my friends.  Great night of fishing, though, with great friends!  Hope you enjoy the pics

3 man 2 day limit on Erie.jpg

On Ed Ball's boat on lake erie.jpg

Dennis and Ed with our limit.jpg

Edited by John Kelley
  • Like 1

Awesom John!! Lots of excellent eater size fillets and cheek meat, “fresh water scallops” LOL. Was up over the weekend but it was a work force weekend. To much going on at home right now. Best of luck to you guys!! Take care and be safe. PAP?

Wait...you mean all these years I’ve been fishing I-Bay I could’ve been dropping a limit off to the car at 11:59PM and then gone back out for another limit at 12:01AM? I always defined a day’s limit as what I caught in one outing...from, say, 9:00PM to 2:00AM...for example. That’s good to know. That’s ALOT of eaters I’ve been unnecessarily throwing back. The freezer should be twice as full in the next few weeks then.

Someone might want to check the general regulations under general take and possession section. Just to make sure. It might be a little misleading but states you may not possess in excess of the daily limit for a species.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Fish caught in New York State

• No more than two days’ legal take of nonsalable fish may be transported unless a permit is obtained from a DEC Regional Office, or the fish are frozen, processed and packaged for storage.
  • Smelt, suckers, alewives, and blueback herring taken by dip nets (Tidal Hudson River Regulations) or angling, and suckers taken by spearing, may be transported overland by motorized vehicle for consumption purposes only. Once those species are transported away from the water body, they may not be transported back to any water body for use as bait.
  • Salable fish may be transported in any number.
  • Baitfish transportation regulations can be found on Baitfish Regulations.

On 5/8/2018 at 12:02 PM, bosco said:

Wait...you mean all these years I’ve been fishing I-Bay I could’ve been dropping a limit off to the car at 11:59PM and then gone back out for another limit at 12:01AM? I always defined a day’s limit as what I caught in one outing...from, say, 9:00PM to 2:00AM...for example. That’s good to know. That’s ALOT of eaters I’ve been unnecessarily throwing back. The freezer should be twice as full in the next few weeks then.

It happens all the time on Oneida. However, people abuse that rule and catch a limit by midnight, drop them off in the truck, catch another limit after midnight, go home with the fish, and then RETURN that next night and do it again! Double dipping. :bandit:

I am not a fan of the rule but I think it is meant for people that are from out of town.

6 hours ago, Gill-T said:

Certainly better fishing than your South Dakota fish eh?

Not the fishing, but the limits, yes.  I have 50-60 fish evenings by myself on the prairie, but can only keep 4, with one over 20".  Lots of catch and release out there.  Those were some pretty nice sized male walleyes, though.  You don't see 5 and 6 pound males very often, where I live.  Salmon and trout fishing are hands down, way better out here!! :)

South dakota has some amazing walleye fishing I understand. Would like to get out there and check it out one of these days. I have a buddy that makes a pilgrimage every year with some friends. Says its beautiful. Congrats on the nice catch. Well done. [emoji1303][emoji476]

12 hours ago, EsoxAC3 said:

South dakota has some amazing walleye fishing I understand. Would like to get out there and check it out one of these days. I have a buddy that makes a pilgrimage every year with some friends. Says its beautiful. Congrats on the nice catch. Well done. emoji1303.pngemoji476.png

Thanks, and yeah, there is a different kind of beauty out there on the plains.  Wide open and rolling hills.  Not many trees, though.  Fantastic upland bird and waterfowl hunting, too.  Thanks again.

Howdy fellas, my name is John Kelley and I hail from South Dakota.  I have been working an and off in upstate NY since 2012, but have been focusing most of my free time concentrating on Lake Ontario, since I can always catch as many walleyes as I want when I am home.  I decided to go fishing with my good friend Ed Ball and our good mutual friend Dennis Walter on Saturday, though, and check out the spring shallow water night bite on Lake Erie.  We had a pretty good go of it, and returned to the truck at midnight to offload our Saturday limit of 18 nice male walleyes.  We then headed back out to our waypoint after 1:00 a.m., and caught our sunday limit of 18 nice, male walleyes by 5:00 a.m.  We were fishing west of Dunkirk. Water was very murky and colored. All our fish were between 19-26" long, and no females in the group.  All the fish were milting, or still had milt in them, so the spawn looks like it is right about in the middle.  The big females ought to be hungry pretty soon, I am thinking.  The lake was like glass all night, so it was awesome for boat control.  Not a bad first outing for me on Lake Erie, but all I had to do was set lines and reel and net fish all night.  Captain Ed drove us right over all the hungry fish!!  I am not at liberty to say what the magic lure, depth, or waypoint was, because it was not my boat, and I don't want to betray my friends.  Great night of fishing, though, with great friends!  Hope you enjoy the pics

5af17e785f898_3man2daylimitonErie.thumb.jpg.44221921e1e04e0976162d04c809acd4.jpg

5af17e9eb438b_OnEdBallsboatonlakeerie.thumb.jpg.f2d9ed3ec2513bf06d3aa886a387997c.jpg

5af17f66be6e4_DennisandEdwithourlimit.thumb.jpg.9fc9b7a6b60679c5b25df2f7b669af90.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 5/10/2018 at 7:59 PM, EsoxAC3 said:

South dakota has some amazing walleye fishing I understand. Would like to get out there and check it out one of these days. I have a buddy that makes a pilgrimage every year with some friends. Says its beautiful. Congrats on the nice catch. Well done. emoji1303.pngemoji476.png

I talked with John when he was at his home 20, and he hooked me up with lakes and lodges to stay in!! They don’t target eyes out there, I’m pretty sure that’s what he told me. It’s a grind to trailer out there with a LakeO boat. But I have a 18fter that tows like it’s not back there. Would like to experience this in my life time.

I talked with John when he was at his home 20, and he hooked me up with lakes and lodges to stay in!! They don’t target eyes out there, I’m pretty sure that’s what he told me. It’s a grind to trailer out there with a LakeO boat. But I have a 18fter that tows like it’s not back there. Would like to experience this in my life time.

I agree Pap. Would love to get out there myself and do some hunting and fishing. I believe my buddy goes to Lake Sharpe which is part of the Missouri River system in June...just after walleye spawn and murders them. Sounds like heaven to me!! LOL[emoji1303][emoji476][emoji476]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 5/13/2018 at 9:56 PM, EsoxAC3 said:

I agree Pap. Would love to get out there myself and do some hunting and fishing. I believe my buddy goes to Lake Sharpe which is part of the Missouri River system in June...just after walleye spawn and murders them. Sounds like heaven to me!! LOLemoji1303.pngemoji476.pngemoji476.png

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah, Lake Sharpe is a great fishery, but Lake Oahe is even better.  KIngs and giant pike in Oahe, as well.  Francis Case also does very well in the spring.  They are all impoundments on the Missouri River.

On 5/13/2018 at 9:13 AM, pap said:

You got it all right, except the we don't target walleyes part.  That is about the only thing most Sodak's do target, aside from perch.  They don't target pike, which is why all of the sloughs even, have giant northern pike in them.

Edited by John Kelley
Mis-spelling