First shake down cruise of the year for Sunday May 6th.

I'm not sure when if ever, I had a more trouble free start to the season with some nice fish caught in the process.

We launched out of Olcott "on time" around 5:45 in the morning with no issues at all, motor started right up and the plug was in so that in itself was a blessing.

We proceeded out of the chute and sat down in about 75 ft. of water and fired up the trolling motor which also started right up and purred like a kitten wow.

I knew it was going to be a stellar day when I put out the first line and reached for the clip to send it down on the rigger and wham!! A Steelie just about ripped the pole out of my hands and it was fish on!! Dropped the clip and handed the pole to my buddy who was in disbelief also and with a little effort, it was in the boat. That was caught on a habanero spoon with a green/silver pro-troll flasher. We gave that one back to lady O. I then proceeded to put the gear back out and by the time I had everything in, the port side rod off the planner board went off producing our first nice coho. That was caught jointed yellow tiger stick-bait my partner brought that I thought he was wasting his time with lol.

The water was pretty much flat most of the morning with the winds out of the south at around 5-10 mph at most. After our 3rd fish "another coho", the bite dropped of a little so we headed out to between 100-120 FOW and stayed at that depth as it produced the bulk of our fish. We ran into quite a bit of debris at 100 FOW and that also seemed to be where most of the fish were. Our 4th and 5th were also coho's one caught on a rigger 60ft down where we marked the bulk of our fish on a orange crush spoon and another on the wire diver with a red spoon, not sure of the name. After that we headed west and picked up a nice spring king when the starboard side rigger popped about 40ft down with a frostbite spoon no flasher. Fishing after that came a little slower for us until the port side dipsy with a NBK spoon gave us our nicest king of the day that also gave us the best fight. The last fish of the day " a very large Steelie" was actually caught on a flasher/fly combo green frog with a pro-am fly I put in for the heck of it as I thought is was a bit early for flies. All in all we ended up boating 10 total, 2 Steelies, 1 Laker, 2 Kings and 5 cohos. The wind shifted out of the north and the waves really started kicking up around 11:am so we headed back in with all smiles on our faces! The fish hit just about everything we put out with spoons being the best producer. I stopped at ABS Tackle on the way home to buy more stuff I just couldn't live without and the owner said they were out also that morning also and boated 16 total with meat being their best bait out, go figure, I didn't even run meat. Hope this report helps some, the fish are definitely out there to be had for those chomping at the bit to go. Tight lines all.....

thumbnail[1].jpg

fish 2.jpg

fish 4.jpg

fish 5.jpg

fish 6.jpg

back of boat.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to make a report. I haven't seen many yet. That is what makes the site work for everyone.  You did great. Its also wonderful when everything works first time out. Very happy for you!

1 hour ago, pukingdog said:

nice, I should have been there. Don't know about that lame ass yellow stick bait. 

Ralph must have been taking lure selection lessons from Fig.

Ya it's not exactly a bay rat lure lol but it did catch a couple of coho's