Tagged out with big bird

After dressing and skinning my bird I breasted it, cut off the thighs for another meal. I then sectioned up all the bones including the heart, gizzard, liver, drumsticks and neck then threw them in a pot with onion, garlic, carrot, celery, dried tomato, salt and spices. Brought it to a boil and then simmered for several hours till meat easily pulled from bones. When strained it made a wonderful stock and I picked 2.3 pounds of meat off the bones which I added to the stock. I made a delicious soup and froze another batch in a gallon zip lock. It's a shame so many people just breast their birds and all that good meat is wasted. Even the drumstick are good and tender if you simmer and remove tendons. I know it's is time consuming and easy for me to do being retired. I understand that many may not want to take the time but I get at least three more meals from a bird than if I were to simple take the breast. One or more from each half breast, one from the thighs. And at least 2 from the broth and meat used for stew or soup.

I have also ground the thigh, leg, heart, and gizzard and mixed with pork to make sausage.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

8 hours ago, Kevin J Legg said:

After dressing and skinning my bird I breasted it, cut off the thighs for another meal. I then sectioned up all the bones including the heart, gizzard, liver, drumsticks and neck then threw them in a pot with onion, garlic, carrot, celery, dried tomato, salt and spices. Brought it to a boil and then simmered for several hours till meat easily pulled from bones. When strained it made a wonderful stock and I picked 2.3 pounds of meat off the bones which I added to the stock. I made a delicious soup and froze another batch in a gallon zip lock. It's a shame so many people just breast their birds and all that good meat is wasted. Even the drumstick are good and tender if you simmer and remove tendons. I know it's is time consuming and easy for me to do being retired. I understand that many may not want to take the time but I get at least three more meals from a bird than if I were to simple take the breast. One or more from each half breast, one from the thighs. And at least 2 from the broth and meat used for stew or soup.

I have also ground the thigh, leg, heart, and gizzard and mixed with pork to make sausage.

Awesomeness and a great respect to the bird....thanks for sharing

Chris

Being in the culinary field before I started up my own business a starter & alternator rebuild business, that has nothing not even close to what I schooled for. I started to use a pressure cooker and really like the outcome of lesser quality meats that I can make meat fall of the bone, and makes stock at the same time!! I’ve used the pressure cooker on the legs of the birds my brother in law harvested and made turkey noodle soup that the kids and everyone was ranting and raving about this soup. You can do the same like Kevin explained above, but I’m done long before his stove top ways aren’t even close to being done. I love my pressure cookers and would be lost with out one. Your idea of doing this with the leg meats jogged my memory and reminded me of the turkey carcass soups my kids said!! I made. Your right Kevin there’s lots of meat on those leg/thighs. Most people don’t want to deal with those thin splinter type bones. Great thread/post!! Now you can fish for OL’ Marble eyes!!

Nicely done.

For years I threw the legs away. My last several birds I have done something similar in a crock pot. To be honest the legs and thighs are the best part of the bird.

The same goes for deer shanks. Google Osso Bucco. You won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On 5/13/2018 at 2:13 PM, Kevin J Legg said:

yes i started doing this 2 years ago cause i was tired of wasting the legs and thighs.  Now i save as much as possible to make soup with my fiancee and I absolutely love it

After tagging out early I was trying to get my son or wife a bird this weekend. I located some birds and new their roost area. Hunted two morning with my son and one with my wife but they didn't cooperate. First morning we were set up about 300 yards from the roost and they went the other direction into a pasture. Second morning we bumped one off the roost but still had birds around us on the roost but again they moved on to the pasture. Today we set up between the pasture and the roost and they went toward where we hunted the first day. We were either unlucky or dealing with a well educated bird. Generally I can kill a bird in three days as you have them well patterned.