Autopilot for kicker motor?

tim

I went with a TR1 Gold for my kicker because:

1- My PY has power assisted cable steering  -  If main is not running there is no power steering

2- Not enough room behind helm to install rotary cable drive unit

3- Did not want to listen to a rotary drive unit all day and had concerns about it's durability over  time

4- Did not intend to use AP on main motor - just for trolling

5- Best alternative option was to convert steering to hydraulic and install a hydraulic AP on main and use an EZ  steer to connect kicker - higher overall cost

I've been very happy with the TR1 and believe it is why I can get away with a T9.9 kicker motor on a 25' boat.

It is extremely reactive and helps the kicker hold it's course in some challenging conditions - wind, waves, currents.

It is quiet and so far ,5 years, no problems.  If the conditions get too rough for the kicker alone I just start up the main motor, drop in a couple trolling bags and still use the kicker and TR1 to steer and fine tune my speed.

If my PY already had hydraulic steering I probably would have gone with a hydraulic AP on the main motor 

Hope this helps

I'm on my second boat with a TR-1 auto pilot.  Probably the second my important piece of equipment on the boat that helps us  catch fish. My Fishhawk would be # 1 . Love my TR-1 !!!

I have an old sport pilot plus on now even with power assist that 15hp kicker turns hard with ez steer. So I’m looking to the future.sport pilot can’t last forever

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United