Tons of Spring Kings

Is it just me or are there wayyy more spring Kings around the south shore than in years prior? I follow many social media accounts that are just hammering Kings (almost as much as browns) all up and down the south shore of Lake Ontario. Good sign if you ask me.

• Like 1

I think it may relate to the flow of nutrients etc. along the south shore right now. Usually brings temp difference, food for the bait and the bait and the kings follow it. Kinda like the migration of the pelagic fish in the oceans.

• Like 1

We were seeing lots of big one year olds of the 17-21” range last year. Biggest shakers I have ever seen. This class of kings grew up with the record 2016 hatch of alewives to feed on. These are two year olds now. Not sure if we are looking at classic predator/prey curve or a heavy natural reproduction year in the tribs. As others have said ....enjoy it!!!!

Best King Fishing I have ever had in all of my trips to Lake O.

We fished the south shore, west of nine mile,  5/5 - 5/9 in 12 to 40 FOW. Ran spoons mostly for  the majority of the catch, only one came on the BT Candy Bay Rat. Otherwise copper back and gold colored back side spoons were what took the rest.

In the 4 days we boated 5 kings ranging from 8 to 14 lbs and 2 browns in the 5-6 lb range.

GREAT Time..... can't wait for next year

Boat Safe,

Egoody

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, bandrus1 said:

Probably more to do with lake patterns than abundance of fish

I would think it has more to do with the population.  Kings are everywhere.  Guys are catching them lake wide when normally the west end is on fire and the rest of the lake has the occasional king catch.  Guys are doing great numbers of kings in Owego, Rochester and Sodus....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Wind pattern

Not really the case over here. They are being caught on both sides of our southern basin and even further north to some degree, and the size of the fish are unusually large for spring fish in Lake Michigan.

Makes for some exciting fishing while targeting smaller fish on lighter gear.

6 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

I would think it has more to do with the population.  Kings are everywhere.  Guys are catching them lake wide when normally the west end is on fire and the rest of the lake has the occasional king catch.  Guys are doing great numbers of kings in Owego, Rochester and Sodus....

Yup.

1 hour ago, rolmops said:

maybe they learned how to eat gobies

Maybe there are more Alewives than they know of? I've heard some positive news of some big schools of bait in shallow water this year that were visible with the naked eye. 

Also, I have caught my share of Kings with Gobies in their bellies. They are definitely not the dumb fish that only knows how to eat Alewives that some might want you to believe. I give them much more respect than that.

• Like 1