What fish finder do I buy?

I want to upgrade my fish finder. I’m looking at the helix 5 or 7. Is there anything I need to know as far as what to buy? I troll on Lake Ontario. I don’t want the down imaging? Correct? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike. Sea stupid, Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Decide on you price range, then get the most "pixels and power" you can afford. Duel frequency is a great feature, the other special features are up to you. Most manufacturers offer the operator manuals free online in PDF format. Download the manuals and check for ease of use.  Some units make you go through a ton of menu options to make a simple adjustment. I chose a Furuno 625 unit 6 years ago because it has dials and knobs rather than a ton of buttons, and their bullet proof reputation.  Take a trip to Bass Pro or Cabela's  and look at the units for yourself. Play with the functions and find which unit will work best for YOU in your price range.

Thanks J.D. I’m going to Cabela’s and check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
I am new to boats and bought the helix 7 last year. With nothing to compare it to other than the lowrance I have used seems the helix is much easier to use. Really like mine and would buy it again want to eventually put a 10 atthe wheel and the 7 on back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Really anything you can afford is better than nothing. What exactly are you looking for? GPS/FF combo? dedicated FF? Primary species you will be fishing for?

Edited by Chas0218

I have a Furuno 628 and I love it. The fish finder quality mostly depends on sensitivity of the transducer. The best investment is a high end transducer. The user friendly and high end transducer furuno is the biggest bang for your buck. I don’t think that you will find them at Cabelas.

Get the biggest screen you can get in your budget. I would also recommend getting one with a chart plotter gps. And maybe the card to go with it so you have the topography of the lake.

Get the biggest screen you can get in your budget. I would also recommend getting one with a chart plotter gps. And maybe the card to go with it so you have the topography of the lake.
I have a lorance with a 12 inch screen on my big boat and a helix 5 with down imaging on my small boat. I love them both, just wish I’d have went with the bigger screen on the helix.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app