Opinions regarding aluminum boat in slip

JeffM

Does anyone have any experience they can share in regards to keeping an aluminum hull in a slip?  I had a fiberglass boat in one for years and my main complaint was the staining of the hull but other than that no problems.  How do the Aluminum hulls clean at the end of the year?  Any issues or concerns with transmetalation from tray current?

• Like 1

I have never heard of an issue with aluminum pontoons.  I have mine cleaned professionally at the marina I'm in and they look brand new after 13 years of being slipped  I tried doing it myself at a car wash my first year and wasnt happy with my results as I couldn't lift the boat.  The aluminum can definitely take being on a slip.   As far as a painted aluminum hull goes....that I've got no idea how well that can take it with out stains. 

KIMG0087.JPG

A friend of mine had to change his anodes because his Hewescraft had salt water anodes and they practically disintegrated from the stray current in the harbor.

I can't remember what was originally on the boat, but I'm pretty sure he switched them to magnesium. He also bought 2 magnesium anodes to hang over the gunwales when the boat is docked, which are clipped to a bolt in the gunwales with an alligator clip.

I've got an older Starcraft Islander that would on occasion get slipped for a month at a time.  Previous owner who slipped the boat told me they had an issue with stray current eroding a rivet and paid big money for a patch.  I don't think its always an issue but if you've got stray electricity running around the marina it could be an issue without precautions.