Installing a Yamaha kicker - couple quick questions

vetting

Its my first time with an outboard so have a few questions.  I have a 5.7 mercruiser I/O as my main motor.  Im in the processing of adding a T9.9 Yamaha non-tiller kicker.

1) For the gas line, do I just get the fitting and attach a hose to it?  Do I need a primer bulb and if yes, where do you install it on the line?  What kind of fitting do you use to put it into the water separator for the main motor?

2) For main pos/negative connection, do you hook it directly to the the battery?

3) For the other electrical connection, do they make an extension to lengthen the cable to get it up to the throttle box?

4)  I assume you just need to get longer shift/throttle cables if they current ones arent long enough.

2 hours ago, dukhnter8 said:

This will help with the plumbing part. I have mine hooked to the main battery through a shutoff switch, but it is a tiller with electric start.

https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/71434-plumb-kicker-motor-to-main-tank/

Im even more confused now on what I should do about the fuel setup after reading that :)

Y or T doesn’t matter, but a shutoff to the kicker is a good idea, splice into line after main inline fuel filter or run from filter if it has an extra unused port. Keep primer bulb. Two hose clamps per connection, not just one. If original fuel lines are pre 2000 consider replacing fuel fill, supply, and vent lines, if pre 1990 definitely replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Is the point to shutoff the gas from one so that it doesnt pull from the other?  If you are using the kicker for trolling, isnt that a pain to do 3 times a trip?

No, not for daily use. Shut off is preventative in nature. If bulb or line to trolling motor fails out on water and there’s a loss of fuel suction, it could prevent fuel from going to main engine. It also allows you to remove trolling motor for service and still operate main engine. A shutoff valve in the extra line maintains the integrity of the main line if you close the valve.

Been doing some more reading - how do you prevent the kicker from pulling fuel from the I/O and then sucking air - also the other way around if you are running the main I/O?

• Like 1

I have the same setup with a 5.7 L and a T9.9
Used the extra outlet on my fuel filter and have had no problems. I did install a valve at the filter for the kicker but have used it only for servicing the filter. The primer bulb has a check valve in it and should be installed near the kicker. You should use USCG A1-E15 fuel line inside the motor compartment from the filter to the primer bulb. The fuel line that comes with the bulb is probably not rated for inside the motor compartment

I also just connected my kicker fuel line to the Fuel Filter cannister extra outlet. Just screwed a barbed fitting in there, (brass) slid the line on and clamped it. My hose has the bulb about 12-14 inches from the filter. Works fine.