Ok so I have a question for anyone out there who uses an okuma coldwater 45 for wire divers. How much backing does it require under the 1000ft of wire to properly fill the spool to keep the counter accurate. Usually we use a 30 size reel because the 1000ft guys perfect but we got a deal on the 45s. Just checking if anyone has done this. One guy told me just throw 1000ft of wire on with no backing but figure the line counter will be off and we won't be gaining anything from having a bigger spool for retrieval speed like that. Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 5:23 PM, BAZOOKAJOE said:

If nobody responds.  Spool the first one on backwards.  First the Wire and then backer.  Re-set your counter when you start the backer so you know how much.  Then wind it onto the other reel.  

This is what I did too.

I just put a thousand feet of wire on. The reel counters are never precise. They do not measure actual footage ,the counter just turns a number when the reel rotates one turn. I asked the torpedo wire guy, Matthew. He told me that they tried to use coloring like leadcore , but it did not work well. His advice is to use a high gloss spray paint. I spray on the wire for about 3 feet length on places that I have measured while on a sports field. I did every fifty feet and use fluorescent green , orange and yellow. It takes a while to dry and every so often I refresh the paint. It is very precise. After a while you remember the number on the counter where the spray painted wire comes of the reel. By the way, the numbers always differ a bit

Edited by rolmops

12 hours ago, rolmops said:

I just put a thousand feet of wire on. The reel counters are never precise. They do not measure actual footage ,the counter just turns a number when the reel rotates one turn. I asked the torpedo wire guy, Matthew. He told me that they tried to use coloring like leadcore , but it did not work well. His advice is to use a high gloss spray paint. I spray on the wire for about 3 feet length on places that I have measured while on a sports field. I did every fifty feet and use fluorescent green , orange and yellow. It takes a while to dry and every so often I refresh the paint. It is very precise. After a while you remember the number on the counter where the spray painted wire comes of the reel. By the way, the numbers always differ a bit

I usually "tune" my LC atleast once a year because of this. I measure out 100' on the lawn and make sure that my LC says 100 when I reach that spot. It's an easy fix if all you need to do is remove line, if you need to add line that is the tricky part. Usually if I'm +/- 5' I call it good. If it's short but not by enough to justify re-spooling I put a small label on the reel and write down the number I need the LC to say to actually reach 100'. I know a guy that used to take his rods down to the local high school football field so he could do this out to 300'. 

I measured out 100 ft on my lawn while spooling it backwards with mono backing.  I checked the line counter vs the stake.  If it was off, I adjusted the amount of mono until it read exactly 100 feet at the stake.  Then I re-spooled it on to a different reel.